Monday, December 05, 2005

Mood Altering Music

A.K.A. The Rip in the Time/Space Continuum

Hey kids, what's crackin'? I was just thinking about songs that I hear that put me right back in the mind frame I was in when they were "popular". Most of the shit I listen to now isn't popular but that wasn't really the case in the past. I came of with a list that wasn't comprehensive but it'll give ya an idea of where I was coming from. I didn't want the list to be too hip-hop heavy because I'm an underground head so I eased back a bit on that. Check this out:

Early life 1970 - 1981
I didn't get to choose too much of the shit I listened to. My parents and my siblings usually picked it. This music always gives me the best memories.

Hard Work - John Handy
Average Joe - Terry Collier
Rock Creek Park - Donald Byrd (Detroit, what?)
Used To Be My Girl - O'Jays
You Are My Starship - Norman Connors
Rapper's Delight - Sugar Hill Gang
Storm Music - Gil Scott-Heron

Pre teen - Teen 1981-1987
The middle school/high school years. I was a huge Prince fan. It was before hip-hop took over completely. I was also a fan of a lot of pop music from the UK. I was a preppy kid that wanted to catapult myself out of the 'hood.

Annie Christian -Prince
Something in The Water - Prince
Fascination - Human League
Owner of a Lonely Heart - YES
Modern Love - David Bowie
The One I Love - R.E.M.
Still A Thrill - Jody Watley
Don't Disturb This Groove - The System
Throw That "D" - 2 Live Crew

College and Beyond 1987-1994
Actually this time frame should be characterized as just "college" because I started in '87 and finished in '94 after being kicked out for a couple of years. This era can effectively be called my slacker period.

I Know You Got Soul - Eric B. and Rakim (woke up to this every day as I prepared for class)
Just Call - Sherrick
Nite And Day - Al B. Sure
Potholes In My Lawn - De La Soul
It Takes Two - Rob Base and D.J. EZ Rock
Understand Me Vanessa - Anttex
Who Got Da Props? - Black Moon
Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
World Famous - The Beatnuts
Electric Relaxation - A Tribe Called Quest
Otha Fish - Pharcyde
Limitations - Souls of Mischief

Working Adult 1994-1997
I am seriously drawing a blank here. This time frame went by in a blur, which is sad. I can't remember a single song here. I just remember I started thinking that hip-hop was on it's last legs.

Engagement and Marriage 1997-2002
These songs are sometimes hopeful, sometimes regretful. The fact that these songs resonated with me like this should have been a sign. By this time, I fuckin' hated R&B.

U Make Me Wanna...- Usher
Girl You Know What's Up - Donnell Jones
Don't You Forget It - Glenn Lewis
I Wish - Carl Thomas
She's All I Got - Jimmy Cozier
Girl Next Door - Musiq

These songs for whatever reason have left indelible stamps in my brain. For better or for worse, when I hear them the reaction is immediate and emotional.

Be Cool,
KZ

10 comments:

brooklyn babe said...

"Don't Disturb This Groove" is a straight CLASSIC...
But what happen to Millie Vinillie (sp?) Don't tell me you did not listen to "Blame it on the Rain!"

sj-the-infamous said...

Great minds think alike...although you have a few years on me cuz your pre-teen years are my elementary school years but, baby....those were some of the jams. Personally, I was a fan of Bananarama, Taylor Dayne, The Police, Simply Red, Boy George and Culture Club and without a doubt, Prince! I watched Purple Rain, TWICE yesterday....then threw in the LoveSexy CD for the hell of it. Umph, umph, umph....

nikki said...

wonderful list! what, no jodeci??? in that 87-94 block, they fucking ruled for at least half that time.

Chubby Chocolate said...

GOOD POST. VERY GOOD POST.

Don't disturb this gooooove! The System!!!!
I recorded that video.Have it somewhere in my stash.

You had me at Storm Music...Buy the rings now. :-)

The_Practitioner said...

Adina Howard songs alter my mood. Every time I hear "Freak Like Me" or "T-Shirt & Panties" I want to get a lap dance.

brooklyn babe said...

Tagged U buddy.
Get on it!

TRUTHZ said...

what you know about it takes two??? i was in sixth grade and it was the song that always set the skating rink on fire....am i getting old?

what about "It's the world's biggest "d", don't matter, just don't bite it. AMG that was my bad girl song of the nineties that i had to sneak and listen to.

~ Eclectic Soul ~ said...

Hells yeah, "Still A Thrill", "Don't Disturb This Groove", and "Modern Love".

Terence Trent D'Arby still doin his thing in Europe, changed his name to Sananda Matreiya-- his stuff is STILL nice!!!

The Rolling Stones, Poor Righteous Teachers (*ghetto head nods to Wise Intelligent & Culture Freedom*), Full Force (Yeah, I said it!), Force MDs-- Love Is A House!-- Roger Troutman & Zapp, how bout when EPMD first came out wif STRICTLY BUSINESS??? OMGGGGGGG!!! And who can forget X-CLAN??? R.I.P Sugarshaft!!!

Butterfly Jones said...

Any man that has Human League, Bowie and Soundgarden in his record collection has got to be cool. Check out The Artic Monkeys - new Brit band. They're single "I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor" is 'disgusting' as we say in England, or as you might say 'sick'.
Yeah some of those tunes brought back mems. I once did a show in NYC with Rob Base. You didn't put any P.E. "Yes, the rhythm ,the rebel."

Knockout Zed said...

@BB
Unfortunately I loved "Blame It On The Rain. And "Die Without You" from PM Dawn.
*lowers head in shame*

@IBW
I forgot my Terrance Trent shit. "If You Let Me Stay" was/is/will be my shit. INXS was definitely my shit 87-88.

@KeKe
Post, nigga!

@SJ
Hundalasilliya! Lovesexy was the shit, even though that single track CD drove me crazy.

@nikki
I fucking hated Jodeci. I can't explain it either.

@CC
I was making out with my first love in the backseat of my brother-in-law's car. He and my sister drove us to an amusement park. That's where I'm transported everytime I hear it.

@truthz
I was a sophomore in college when "It Takes Two" came out. How in the hell do you feel old?

@InsanelySane
How's about you're the sexiest woman I've never seen?

@ES
"Rock Dis Funky Joint" "Shakiya (JRH)". PRT was so underrated. I shoulda had "You Gotz Ta Chill" on there. Driving down Jefferson Ave. behind a drug dealer who had painted on his truck "Look What The Baseheads Bought Me". That's real. Ask any Detroiter.

@My beautiful Afro-British Buttafly
I friggin' love P.E. I coulda made this an all hip-hop post, but I wanted to show some other things in there. I still wanna see the She Rockers perform!