Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Withdrawal

I suffer from all types of withdrawal. Withdrawal from TAD, anonymity, pussy, culture, griminess, fashion, style, cuisine, barbers, good employees, black people, and friends. But the shit that's the most painful right now is the pain of Wire Withdrawal.

Five fucking years of my life I dedicated to this show. I shut out everybody when I was watching it and I was well rewarded. I have now watched the final episode six times. I smile every time I see Michael or Cheese or Bubs or even Marlo. I've read anything anyone associated with the show has scribbled down. I synthesize it and become a Wire encyclopedia. I am feeling it right now. I'm in a bad place, my mellow.

I can't watch Law & Order anymore without a seething hate bubbling to the surface, let alone those fucking CSI shows. Law & Order has won fucking Emmys for some of the most facile, good guy-bad guy shit ever put to celluloid. The Wire? None. No nominations. Nothing.

I had real love hate relationships with Kima, Daniels, Carcetti, Clay Davis, Snoop, Rhonda Pearlman, and Herc. Why? Because they were complex, just like real fucking people. You like them sometimes and you dislike them other times. There are no cues to tell you who the good guys are. Who the fuck is good all the time? Who the fuck is noble all the time?

Goodbye old friends. I doubt that I'll ever see anything like you on TV again.

Peace,
KZ

10 comments:

onefromphilly said...

Oh I am sooo with you on this. I was so sad Monday morning realizing that the Wire is done. I used to shut-down everything at 9pm Sunday night. Now I don't know what I'm going to do. I have NOTHING left to watch. I miss my people. In my opinion the Wire was the best written script, best casted, and the most gripping show ever on HBO. And it's been the best show on TV for a while now.

For my birthday I'm asking for the entire 5 seasons on DVD.

Knockout Zed said...

I can honestly cancel my HBO subscription and never look back. Regular cop shows look super wack right about now. My Sunday evenings are free again as well.

You need a good bootlegger!!! That set is expensive as fuck!

KZ

Bananas said...

Fuck David Simon, fuck Ed Burns, fuck George Pelecanos! They're like bad crack dealers. Get someone hook on the shit and then take it away.

Fuck them...and George is one of my favorite authors.

Unless of course they decide they want to put a few scripts together and go for season six.

Then like the crack hoes in the show, I'll be all over that corner.

Knockout Zed said...

@Terry
Have you read The Night Gardener by Pelecanos? I bought it when it came out, but I still haven't had a chance to read it. Is it good?

KZ

Bananas said...

I got hooked with "Soul Circus". I've read everyone of his books.

Pretty good stuff for a white guy who grew up in the ghettos of D.C. I think that's why he related to The Wire so well.

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

i'd like the whole Wire set also.

Hey as a matter of fact that's a good idea, but don't knock Law & Order just cuz the Wire was good. Law & Order is like cold pizza or bad sex...

you catch my drift?!

Anonymous said...

THE BEST SERIES ON T.V PERIOD.
Thanks Slim Charles: Cheese had to go; Michael another Omar; What now?

Poetry said...

I'm going to HAVE to rent the DVD's every other blog I visit is talking about this show. It's like how white folks tripped about Seinfeld or Friends. LOL.

Blah Blah Blah said...

I cancelled my premium package yesterday.

I am rather tired of tv lately. I have enough books to tide me over until the next great show is on.

Anonymous said...

Never seen a single episode.

I don't even know what it was about.

I guess it was the shit and as usual, I missed out.

There's always DVD I guess.