Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Hotel Sex, Lady Liberty, and Sobriety*

Hey y'all what's up? Believe it or not, I'm glad to be back in Satan's Anus! Not that I didn't have a fuckin' ball in the Apple and the Big Motor, but damn, I was in 3 hotel rooms in 4 days. I'm not used to that shit. I'm not a heavy traveler. But I'mma try to recap in the best way that I can a pretty tight fuckin' weekend.

Lucky Thursday
I'm in Detroit and I don't have tickets to The Roots. My boy Rainier thought I was gonna flake out and not come, so he didn't buy me one. I'm stuck in this long ass, wrapped around the block line for tickets. A scalper walks up, going from person to person trying to sell this ticket. Everybody was coupled up and couldn't use just one ticket. He got the end of the line and there I was ready to buy.

I got out of the long ass ticket line and moved over to the long ass entry line, where they were checkin' Africans for guns and dope and vaginal warts. I gave up and I was gonna go drink somewhere until the line shrank. As I came from around the corner and walked past the entrance to go to a bar, I ran into Allen, my old barber, just as he was approaching the security check. "Cut in here man!" and in I went with no waiting.

Allen and I both had cheap seats, upstairs. We looked over at the floor area and it was being protected by security. I looked again and saw one of my old co-workers from the City of Detroit was working her second job, guarding the floor. "Hey mama!" I'm huggin', flirtin', and shit. They I give it a try. "How can me and my boy get in there?" "Come back a little later." We stood there looking stupid for a minute and then we got waved over. I was 5 feet from the stage for the rest of the night. The Pharcyde, Opio (Souls of Mischief), and The Roots got the fuck off. Talib Kweli was ill and didn't perform. You gotta see The Roots live. That shit is the truth!

Funky Fresh Friday
When I got to NYC, I texted Blah Blah Blah "I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch!" signaling the arrival of the scion of the Zednanreh Empire on solid ground. We hooked up for lunch with that cool African, Will, and kicked it at the South Street Seaport at this Latin themed restaurant. Nice empanadas and liquor. After Will jetted, Blah and I sat there talking shit for so long, it irritated the hell out of the waitstaff. When we finally left we went to my hotel room...

*icky stuff omitted*

Just kidding, y'all.

Anyway I changed, we hooked up with the man they call O to tha N , his cousin and Will again, and we went to this spot called Dewey's where we had the most thickalicious piece of crumpet as a waitress named Tiffany. I knew the night would be good right away.

We got Cocoa Girl (!!!) and Berry (I just found the blog, you can't quit!) as the nearly completed set of bloggers at the spot. I was happy to see everybody, though I didn't get a chance to kick it as much as I wanted with everybody. The spot was too dark to take any usable photos, so I missed that opportunity. While waiting for Slish to show up (even though I was hoping for Slasher) me, Will and ON tried to entertain the ladies with our butter smooth renditions of 80's R&B hits. That mercifully came to an end when Slish and his homey, Spankindatazz, showed up.

If y'all don't know, Slish is like Bad Boy, HE DON'T STOP. That cat don't sit for more than a second, always up, always lively. Slish is the consummate host, making everybody feel cool and included. The shit was bubblin' and I started running out of energy. Between the long night before and the lethal combo of brew and mixed drinks, I had to go lie down. I took the train back to the hotel to sleep.

BlogNic Saturday
So Young Slisher got me on the train, right? And I'm underground in Manhattan, then above ground in the Bronx. The cat is johnny-on-the-spot when it comes to scooping me from the subway stop. He introduces me to Barneys and I understand. I get it, African, OK? Beautiful, smart, and extra cool. I'll stop fuckin' with you about your lovey-dovey ass blog. You win! He then scooped up his boy, Painter, who'll do the cooking, and we're off.

We arrive to see hard working Phoenix and Lightweight, who've been holding it down for hours when we arrived. They are sufficiently irritated with me and Slish doing a half assed job of moving tables around, but I think they got over it. People start arriving and the Slish/Phoenix/Lightweight BBQ event, that was first dubbed as BlogNic by me and later RDNic after I had more alcohol, has begun. This time it wasn't DEEP with bloggers, but next time, I'm thinking we'll have something. There were a gang of people there, families errwhere. It was beautiful.

I believe the order of arrival of bloggers was Chezniki and her homegirl, K., later followed by her sisters, then Royce's Daughter (that's when it became RDNic!) with OneFromPhilly and their girl, B., then PhillyLive (time to blog, brutha). If we could have had both contingencies from both nights together....FORMIDIBLE. It's funny talking about shit with people who you've just met and already have a level of familiarity with you. It makes the initial meeting smooth as hell.

This is already a superlong blog entry, but I have to say I'm selling every one of these people short. I had excellent conversation with each one of the bloggers and the non-bloggers they brought with them. I'd be writing all night long to encompass the good will and genuine enjoyment I had at BlogNic '06. Make sure you check out my Flickr Badge to catch a little glimpse of us holding down FDR Park.

Every person I met over this weekend was cool as fuck. Not a single shitty attitude, not a single negative person. It was one of the best weekends I could have ever spent with people I don't even "really" know. This shit was outstanding.

I still have a gang of shit to write about after I got back from NYC and was holding it down in my old stomping grounds in Detroit.

Sorry about the "Deer" post,
KZ

P.S. *Three things I didn't see in NYC


36 comments:

Disco said...

YOOOOO!! Absolutely FANTABULOUS!!!!

Disco said...

Yes, and I was first folks! HA!!!

Blah Blah Blah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Knockout Zed said...

@Robyn
That was pretty fast! This is the longest post I've ever friggin' written and I'm still not done.

@Blah
For the record, I didn't call Robyn!!!

I've read what you wrote 4 times and I don't understand it. Email me or call me. I need help figuring it out.

I'm not in a place to pursue anything.

KZ

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

umm...still totally fucking jealous and can't believe that just cuz i couldn't make it across the country for a cook out, i missed out on a chance to get a tee shirt!

i'm getting more and more bitter as these posts go on!

1969 said...

Great Post. I knew everyone would get along famously. Cool bloggers and BBQ sauce just go hand in hand.

Disco said...

LOL @ Blah! Nah...he didn't call me.... I was just waiting on pins and needles for this DANG story! LOL

Disco said...

And keep writing African! I wanna or rather WE WANNA hear the REST!!!

Blah Blah Blah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

@ 1969 look how damn pretty you are

@ BBB~ well you're not jealous cuz you got to hang out with bloggers and have fun and drink and stuff, meanwhile i can only live vicariously!

1969 said...

Miss Ahmad...I finally went public. Thanks Mama...you ain't too shabby yourself.

Little Brown Girl said...

Awwwwwwww Zeddie...RDNic??? That's hott LOL!!! That alcohol will do it to you every time. So is that the trick...I gotta entice people by getting them all liquored up? Cause I've never had any events named after me until liquor came into the picture.

@1969...my beautiful Soror (not that I thought you wouldn't be *smile*) Great pic!

Great pictures too Zeddie...but you and I both know that you're too much of a gentleman to be couping random feels...I know what's up!!!

So ummmm the deer? *ehem*

Chubby Chocolate said...

It didn't sound like THAT much fun. Wasn't no blogger orgy jumping off...Jealous? ME? A little.

aquababie said...

i'm glad you had a good time. hopefully i'll drag my ass to new orleans to see the roots (finally).

man sounds like you need to get off your ass and get to pursuing...whether you think you're in the place or not. don't sleep on that.

i'm trying to give advice ...lawd stop me!

Knockout Zed said...

@Miss Ahmad
I got your t-shirt waiting. You gotta come get it.

You can host the next one in Cali, mama. It's enough of y'all. Now if you can just get The Phoenix to stop calling me a bitch...

@1969
You flauntin' that pic! I'mma hafta slow you down before we cause a riot in here.

@Robyn
This fuckin' story is long. I left out the part about the mule and the dancing succubus.

@Blah
It took my stupid ass enough times, but I finally got it. I was reading it wrong. My bad.

@Miss Ahmad
We begged her, but she was busy as hell. I'm glad I got to see her again on Friday, but I'm sorry RD didn't get to meet her.

@1969
*sigh*

@RD
You can't tell them I'm a gentleman. You know I'm going back to Detroit to see SanginDiva tomorrow. I gotta keep the bloggettes on their toes!

I left off the part where I was spazzin' and shit, when I told you as good as you look in your pics, none of them even comes close to how beautiful you are in real life. It was as true a statement as I'll ever make in my life.

It's not true you don't have any non-liquor enhanced event named after you. There was this one baby oil enhanced event I had a few weeks ago I called "RDFest".

The deer. Yep. The deer.

KZ

Knockout Zed said...

@CC
Next time, the Yay Area.

@Aqua
I gotta be ready to catch what's ready to be caught.

KZ

Knockout Zed said...

@Mariposa
Them fuckin' hotels was killin' me. I need to travel with my own sheets. (Actually that'd be good advice for me regardless.)

KZ

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

blog ski weekend!
hot tubs
hot toddies
ski bunnies and fun!

Knockout Zed said...

@Miss Ahmad
How about blog hot massage oil testing weekend? That's what I thought this weekend was supposed to be. I got my fuckin' invites mixed up!

KZ

Little Brown Girl said...

ok I got u now...sorry i'm a little slow on the "uptake" I did mention, durng your moment, that I was completely flattered...

Not sure what else to say at this point...you caught me off guard...it's them dayum headlights!!!

*sigh*

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

well mr zed you're in luck because i'm on my way to become a registed passion party hostess, which means that i'll be getting 40% off the hot oils, and other party favors..

i don't know how to ski anyway!

nikki said...

DAMN DAMN DAMN! i can't wait to get to the ny to meet my folk. i'm so glad you stamped them with your endorsement. now i know they straight.

so when you stopping through the atl, brotha?

Disco said...

Zed....... LMBAOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I just scared Dylan I was laughing so hard at the "dancing succubus"....

LMBAO!!!!!!

Would that be .....baby succubus????? LOL


WOOOO-HOOO!!! I wasn't expectin that blast from the dayum past!!! LOL

Knockout Zed said...

@RD
*wink*

@Miss Ahmad
I can't take you seriously as a passion party host! You're too much of a good girl! You need me to corrupt ya.

@Nikki
They are genuinely good people. I'm not "blog frontin'!"

@Robyn
We are slowly but surely dragging our fellow bloggers into our little world, aren't we?

KZ

Organized Noise said...

I don't know what you are talking about . . . you, Will and I WERE BBD, Troop, and New Edition all rolled into one.

Honest said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend. I love blogger meet ups. Although everyone isn't always like they are on their page bloggers are usually cool peeps.

Mr.Slish said...

Baaaaad Boooooy!!!! come out and Plaaaaaay... Thats right AFRICAN!!! can't stop won't stop.

Shit was gonna go to bed early tonight. Now I have to go finish my story since you already finished yours...lol

Knockout Zed said...

@Nikki
I forgot to answer your question. I'll come the ATL anytime. I need a reason. hehehe

@ON
That NE shit was classic. We shoulda filmed it.

@Honest
I'm a much bigger asshole in person. Everybody else is cool as fuck.

@Slish
I left out all the fucking, fights, white slavery and gun running, just like you asked!!!

KZ

Angel said...

dag! now that's tight! so glad you got to bond and build with some cool people. that is indeed always a blessing! and you got your drank on too? even better! hahahahhaha
tell me, when's the road trip to austin going down? ;-)

Rashan Jamal said...

Hell Yeah to the Little Brother lyric at the top of the page...

Shit, it sounds like a real good time. I missed the Roots when they came here even though i had tickets. I wanna go to a blogger cookout, that sounds real cool...

Newy said...

awwwwwwww see I knew I was not far off.....stay on the road Zed....I hear that deer meat is sweet.
;o)

Newy

BZ said...

I'm really glad you had such a great time. From the blogs of others, it appears that it was all mutual, which makes it even better.

NegroPino™ said...

WEll hopefully Ill get to meet hte rest of the Boston Bloggers this weekend at the cookout.......U coming up this way anytime soon?

Knockout Zed said...

@FA
Austin, TX? When's the next SXSW festival? Maybe. Perhaps.

@Cas
I'm tellin' you, you would've enjoyed yourself. These bloggers are good people. And the female bloggers have vaginas!!!

@Newy
I know I'm dealing with some longshot shit. I'm just staking my claim.

@CG
I wish I could've hung out with you more, but you are a busy woman! I completely understand why. I get it!

@BZ
I really thought at worst, we would all be quiet, bookish nerds struggling to converse to one another. It was so dope, I can't wait for the chance to do it again.

@Ill Nana (you're still Ill Nana to me!!!)
I don't know. I think I know more Boston bloggers than Detroit bloggers! The opportunity or the event and I'll be there.

KZ

Nika Laqui said...

Damn, sounds like you had a funky good time...

i like liquor and tv said...

oooo, I'd love to see the Pharcyde perform. I actually saw Fatlip perform by himself and he held it down..lol. ..rapping all the Pharcyde stuff and his own stuff as well.