Friday, September 09, 2005

My Longest (and Least Fulfilling) Relationship

Hey Munkees, keepin' it clean? Good. I've been entranced by the Kanye West's new shit. Naw, not those facile assed political statements the idiot media seems to find so intriguing, but his CD, man. I think it's called "Constant Masterbation". The theme is an MC that can't seem to pull himself off his own dick for more than two seconds. The friggin' beats are incredible. I wish they made an instrumental version of it. That nigga's choice of topics makes me sick. This fake ass introspection reminds me of the movie "Scream". Yeah, you reference all the typical cliches and shit to let me know you're aware of them, to let me know you're smart enough to know better, and you do the same cliche-ridden shit anyway. Nigga, please.

My co-workers at my old gig used to joke and say I didn't listen to anything made after 1995. They might have a point. I think that might be a quality watershed in hip-hop. My basic problem is that I'm a "head", hip-hop head that is. And the shit they keep cranking out ain't for heads. Heads love beats and rhymes. I heard a nigga tell me he likes "aggressive music", so that's why he's not checking for most underground cats. What was more aggressive than "Criminal Minded" or "Enter the Wu-Tang"? That shit is the marriage of beats and rhymes. I've heard every gangsta boast in the world. You can't shock me, muthafucka, I'm 34 years old. I go to work every day and that shit is hard. Stop telling me what the fuck you own and how carefree you live. I'm 34 years old. I'm a grown assed man who cannot relate to or does not aspire to your ideals of "the good life".

That's why I think my longest relationship is probably coming to an end. That relationship is with mainstream hip-hop. My ass is old, my brain is old, my taste is old. Blame that shit on De La Soul, I just like my music a little more challenging, more complex, more thoughtful. I think I'll leave this stuff for y'all to sort through. I can't really take it anymore.

"I used to love H.E.R., but now I fuck H.E.R." - Common

Lord of the Underground,
KZ

4 comments:

brooklyn babe said...

Babes I'm so with, I'm in divorce court right now, waiting for the signature... with Hip Hop nowadays... yuck... time to go look for my XCLan CD.... later for these sissies!
Ok back to work I go!

Chubby Chocolate said...

You're not alone, my dear.

I stopped listening to music stations and watching videos years ago...and I'm 29! It's not Hip Hop,it's Pop Hop.

I grew up during the era of REAL HIP-HOP. X-Clan, Public Enemy, Poor Righteous Teachers,Steady B,Def Jeff, Paris.....Remember Peach Fuzz? Don't get me started!

I say you Brookyn Babe (won me over with that audio blog featuring Freestyle Fellowship)and I should spark a revolution against these fake ass busters posing like their making a contribution to this dying culture.

VIVE LA REAL HIP HOP!!!

toneec42 said...

See and I thought it was me. My sista-friend is always on me because I don't listen to the Hip-Hop radio station, like err'day but when I do finally turn it on to see if I am really missing something worthwhile all I get is Stupid-Hop, Ignorant-Hop, Bad-Hop, and WTF?!-Hop.
Yeah, I stick with the Hip-Hop I grew up with cuz what's coming outta the factory now is ick!

Knockout Zed said...

CC
"Peachfuzz" was the joint! That whole KMD CD was dope. I still listen to Zev Love X aka MF DOOM to this day. The friggin' Yay Area had some outstanding groups that don't get enough props.

BB
Damn I miss Brother J and Professor X. I think I might go get a big assed nose ring just for old times sake.

T
"Ignorance is at an all time high" as my man Professor Griff might say. It ain't getting no better and music is the barometer.