Thursday, October 20, 2005

Origin of Tha Munkee

Hey kids, whatcha know good? Now that I've brought you into my sick, little world, I thought it would be a good time to let you know how a few things got started. The first thing I'll address is Munkeespeak, also known as Munkeecode, Munkeetalk or just plain Munkee.

It started in 1989 (my third year in college) with me and my best friend "Bugz". We were huge fans of the comedian Robin Harris. We listened to his comedy tape over and over. To this day I have every line memorized. You know how some comedians say a standard word or phrase that they deliver like no one else can? For instance, for Dave Chappelle the word is "bitch". For Wanda Sykes the word is "bastard". For Robin Harris it was "munkee ass". "Go sit down wit yo' munkee ass".

Me and Bugz said it relentlessly, imitating his drawl. "Look at her munkee ass. All pretty and shit." Munkee ass was the phrase de jour.

Of course as time passed I used it less and less, especially since me and Bugz didn't go to the same college. Occasionally I'd dust off that ol' chestnut when I was in the mood. It was the perfect storm when me and Robyn became GOOD friends around 1995. She and I had known each other a little bit in passing on campus and back home in Detroit. She was the fly chick in the black Altima. I got to know her pretty well in 1993, but '95 we were pretty tight.

Anyway somehow she and I started to shorten "munkee ass" to just "munkee". "Hey man, sit yo' munkee." "Wash yo' munkee." Just stupid shit. If I call her on the phone the greeting is "Hey munkee!" If I got a problem she'll say "Uh oh, what did your munkee do?"

Then it was more or less generalized. A "munkee" for the most part is a person, but it can always be used to talk about a situation or an object. "Whose munkee is this?" "Where's my munkee?" Is there a big crowd? "Who released the munkees?"

Robyn, not Bugz, is the true co-creator of Munkeespeak. We can talk forever in Munkeetalk and amuse ourselves for hours. One time we were out at a bar talking and we sucked an unsuspecting eavesdropper into our sinister web. We ended up talking to her for a couple of hours explaining to her the ins and outs of Munkee-ese.

It's stupid, we invented it, and it's our shit. Nah!

Munkeetionally Yours,
KZ

8 comments:

NameLiar said...

Well I'll be damned. Y'all ass is crazy but funny.

It's funny the stuff you come up with when you are just tripping out with ya homies.

Anonymous said...

I wondered what was up with Munkee. Now where do the Clams come in at?

~ Eclectic Soul ~ said...

Lawwwwwd, I was sooo wondering about that!!!

*in Robin Harris voice*

"Small worrrrrlllllldddd!!!!"

I miss Robin somethin awful. No one has ever been as funny to me as he was. His untimely death was such a tragedy... Funny how yall adopted that, coz my clique on campus @ OSU did the same exact thing (diff phrases), passing each other on the oval and yelling, "Bebe's kid!!! Small world!!!!"

R.I.P Robin

Disco said...

Awwww....what a sweet post babee munkee :-) (pun INTENDED) LOL Yes, we created it and we now sanction the usage of all munkee-related "wordage" (kinda like verbiage, but betta!)

I say that it's the right of a munkee to do what he/she pleases and sseeign as that is tha case guess what I'm making my 16 month old for Halloween....I'll give ya'll onnnnnnne guess....


A BABEE MUNKEEEE !!!! LOL (pictures forthcoming apres Halloween)

Knockout Zed said...

@name
Show me some more pics, gotdammit!

@keke
You betta post that other shit we was talkin' about. You'll be the toast of the whole black blogosphere.

@honey
My third post EVER (Bleu Balls) explains the origin of clams. It's slang for....the female sex organ!

@es
"People always asking me 'Robin, you gon' change once you get some money?' Yooouuuuu gotdamn right imma change!"

Me and Bugz mourned that man's passing like he was family.

@robyn
Make sure you take plenty of photos for his Uncle Munkee to enjoy, Munkeemama.

KZ

Chubby Chocolate said...

Mystery FINALLY Solved!

At first I thought you just liked monkeys and referred to people as such, but now, as I've suspected, it's something more insane and hilarious to match your off aiss.

~Luvmunkee:-)

Butterfly Jones said...

I loved Robin Harris, Bebe's Kids! And was wondering about the Munkee ting too! You is crazy nigra!

~ Eclectic Soul ~ said...

Why you wear your ring on the wrong finger, Robin?

"Coz I married the WROOOOOONNNNNGGGGG gotdayummmm woman, that's why!!!

Just a head's up, HBO had scheduled a release for a dvd with 2-4 old "One Night Stand" shows, including Robin's, back in January. I saw it advertised on Amazon.com, but never saw the release manifest. Still lookin for it tho, I want Robin's show so bad!!!