Monday, May 21, 2007

The Silver Platter

I'm writing this, and I don't fully expect you to believe it. It'll be the truth. And it's not outside of the realm of reality. But it's really out of character for me. I've been here for a minute, so people who read my archives might not get it. Here goes:

I was doing my Fourth Frid.ay hosting duties, this past week on a third Friday so's not to conflict with the coming Memorial Day Weekend. We had a decent crowd, a little lighter than usual, and everyone was enjoying themselves. So much so, that they stuck around for an hour after I made the announcement that the event was officially over. I told them that the Brothers would be heading to Mario's, this martini bar that had been our official post-Happy Hour haunt. I saw her, but I didn't see her, just like everybody else. Yeah, all the women were focused on me, I had the fuckin' microphone. No big deal, right? She was about 5'8" in flats, long curly hair, light-skinned with a face dotted with freckles. Her eyes followed me.

So when I left to go to Mario's, I didn't expect much of a turnout. We usually have around 15 people who come out to the "afterglow" thing. Most of the regulars weren't there. Sam was in Gh.ana, the DSTs had a conflicting event, so it was just me leaving for Mario's.

I sat there for two minutes when they started streaming in. We had a total of seven, one of them was her. Kali had her girl and two of her cousins with her, one of which was celebrating a birthday. She also had came with one of her extraneous girls and the VM ended up joining us. The extraneous girl demanded attention and I gave it to her. Mainly because Kali sat near my right side, staring at me, and the extraneous girl was on my left and extremely non-threatening. So I gave her my full attention.

Drinks flowed and I indulged. So much so that I retreated into my customary shell and I let them talk to each other. I was fairly lit when the former Mayor/current state representative came up to me and introduced me to one of his colleagues. The birthday girl being attracted to "power" bounded from her seat and chatted up the two politicians.

I sat drinking slowly and silently until I felt my calf being rubbed. I looked to my right and Kali stared me in the eyes, smiling. I leaned over and whispered, "Don't do that. Please" as I took her hand away. She started rubbing it again. "Why not?" "Because I got a girlfriend." "That sounds like your problem not mine. Where is she?" "She's in Detroit." "If y'all all like that, why ain't she here?"

I grabbed her hand. "Kali, you don't know me, so let me say something to you. I've been the African you want me to be. I've fucked without a conscience, I've treated women like pure shit. I've been married before. I wasn't a particularly good husband. But I'm trying to do something, one time, the right way. I really am. Don't try to make me that African. I don't wanna be that African. I wanna be better. For my girlfriend. For me. OK?"

She looked at me intently. She pulled her hand away voluntarily, got up and walked to her cousin, who was still kickin' it with the politicians. I got up and went to the bathroom and pissed out rum and diet coke. I looked in the mirror as I washed my hands, looking at the gray hairs peeking out from under the newly dyed brown ones. I dried my hands and walked out and there she stood.

"What's wrong? You lookin' for the bathroom?" She walked up and kissed me square in the mouth. I stepped back and wiped my mouth. "What was that?" "Something to remind you how far away Detroit is." All I could do is shake my head and walk away. I went and paid the check and I left.

The next day I drove to Detroit.

Be Easy,
KZ

27 comments:

Nexgrl said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! That attempt at being a better man is ALWAYS attractive.

Anonymous said...

Wow...this adult schitk ain't no joke.

RNLA

proacTiff said...

So reminds me of the season finale of The Game. Had to run and seek solice to be sure you are 'attempting' to do and be the right 'African.' Good luck on this one. If you are as 'committed' as you sound, then what are you waiting for? Leaving a lot of room for play and error or wrong impressions on woman's part who figure if you are all 'that' serious you wouldn't be there and your heart in another place.

Can't wait to see this one play itself out...

BlackLiterature said...

Any woman that would approach you like that is worthless and triffling. I'm glad you've decided to "Not be that African" any longer.

Mr.Slish said...

I would have at least squeezed both her ass Cheeks...lmaof..Okay Okay maybe one ass cheek...

So is it safe to say You're in love..or heavily into liking..

If its love Good for you! Its about damn time!

Umm CanIgetkali'snumber

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

sounds like the old Ricky Lee song...Chuckie's in Love

Gemini Girl aka GG said...

slish hush you all in love too stop playin...whatchugondowithKali??!
ZEDDY WEDDY good for you...its a game for some women...just to see how far you will go...if you would've called her bluff she prolly would've then started playing hard to get..like you stalking *her* or something!!! you wouldn't have been *as* interesting if you hadn't turned her down.

1969 said...

Zeddie... For you to break it down for Kali like you did and for her to still throw it at you shows that she ain't sh*t.

I'm glad you decided that you want more.

The Stiltwalker said...

I almost had to stop reading this at "long curly hair, light-skinned with a face dotted with freckles."

Good deal homie. Saying NO/STOP/DON'T is commendable...Besides, she coulda gave you the clap.

Knockout Zed said...

@Nex
I suppose...

@Anon
I'm not used to it or that well prepared for it.

@Tiff
I'm pretty serious, but I'm still not projecting my impressions of the relationship to the woman I'm seeing. I'm just letting it go wherever it goes.

@BL
It's easier when you have a definite winner on your team. It really is.

@Slash
It's not really love, it's more like healing. It's being OK with not being on everybody's "Most Wanted" list. When you grow up a nerd, it's important to be considered attractive by a lot of women when you get older. I think I'm OK now. I don't really need the validation.

You can have Kali's everything as far as I'm concerned!!!

@Miss Ahmad
Chuckie's in Like.

@GG
You have a point. I didn't even think about that. Game shoulda recognized game.

@Sixy
The little speech (which I cut down and edited heavily) was the most out of character stuff I've ever done. My boy Three said that speech was like pouring accelerant on a spark. That made her want me more.

KZ

Knockout Zed said...

@Stilts
The clap? Probably The Applause!!!

KZ

Sheletha said...

That was honorable...

Angie said...

Proud of you Zed! It's true that some women are attracted to men who are clearly attached and happy. they feel like they have one uped the girlfriend If they can get you to hit it. Don't fall for the okey doke. : )

This grown man shit is a good look for you.

BZ said...

DAAAAAAMMMNN!! I sooo feel you on this! I'm proud of you. I'm happy for you. You know you have a good thing when you change your ways for the better. I'm really happy for you.

Disco said...

listen to my voicemail..... it says it all.....

onefromphilly said...

Good for you!
That bitch needed to be back-handed. What's with these agressive azz-tricks anyhow?

Anonymous said...

What is wrong with women?

Miz JJ said...

I gotta co-sign with chele. That is some triffling ass shit. Women just be begging to give it away. Have some motherfucking pride. Damn, you need to get the hell out of SA.

The Brown Blogger said...

I know the thought ran across your mind that if you hadn't slammed a few you would have gone to the D right after that moment.

You know what that is.

We all know that it might be time to you know... Ya dig? You already acknowledged everything else and came out of the bullshit learned and ready for the next movement.

That window is only open for a minute.

aquababie said...

if you trying to give it away like that, it ain't that damn good. you have to have some self-restraint and pride about yourself.

Anonymous said...

I am so absolutely proud of you! :)

-L Boogie

BlackLiterature said...

Zed,

I'm going to challenge you on your response to my comment.
>>@BL
It's easier when you have a definite winner on your team. It really is.>>

It may seem 'easier" but it really isn't about them. It's about you. There has been one constant in your life so far and that is you.

You can't practice bad behavior and then say... well, I was only "That African" because I hadn't met anyone better. That's like a thief saying, I only stole your laptop because you left it out in the open. NO.... you took it because you're the type of person that steals. ;-)

You are who you are. You are the contstant. If you want to attact better, you have to be better.

If you are making changes in your life for the better, own it. Don't minimize it by attributing it to person x. If it is only because of her, then you'll go right back to being "That African" if you have problems or she makes you mad or you have a bad day ....

Think about it. What do you want "That African" to say about who you are??

calikim9 said...

I agree with blackliterature, If you want good you have to be good!

Anonymous said...

Zed, between you and Black Literature, I am feeling all kindas proud, Zed that was a good move on your part, you did the right thing and BL so true indeed.
BK Bajan

Anonymous said...

*tear rolling down face* I am so glad to hear that a man can stand up and say no, not because they don't want the offer but because its the right thing to do.

Anonymous said...

however, she did get her very own tag... which kinda implies that she may have a recurring role in your blog. maybe?

Anonymous said...

I'm confused......

So Kali lives in Detroit with her girlfriend? or did you go and see the girlfriend?

Lol!

-SimplyB