Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Originoo Gun Clappaz

"Deeply rooted from my Timbs to my dick above." -Smif and Wesson, Bucktown

I used to love home so much, but man, I don't know. I had an interview last week with this city in North Carolina. The dude asked me "Why should I hire you if you're looking for work after 23 months in Satan's Anus?" I didn't have a real answer. I told him I thought I could make an impact in their city, whereas my current community needs the help less. It didn't work, I'm sure, but I gave it a shot.

So home came calling, right? I got a call out of the blue from this dude at the City of Detroit asking if I thought about coming back. Now, I was waiting to hear from this org in Detroit to be their Executive Director, but now The City was calling. It was weird.

I talked to him about it, but I don't know if I'd go. They really didn't appreciate my skill set when I was there the first time. The guy that called holds the position my old boss did. He was in a different capacity when I was there. My old boss told me I didn't want to advance bad enough to get promoted. Translation: I didn't kiss her ass. So I left, and I'm here. He's gotta know if I come back, I got a list of people I must be superior to. It's not even negotiable.

But I have this nagging ass feeling that I don't wanna go back. I was there this weekend, and quite frankly, Africans are nuts. I go to the 'burbs all the time to see my chick, but I hardly go in the City. Muthafuckas are off the chain. A lot of shit came flooding back.

We were watching the news and shit seems so....violent. I never thought so, but damn, Detroit is dangerous, yo! An African will lose his life for nothin'. I think I was jaded to that fact, but I'm thinking if I come back and I'm staying, trying to raise seeds in the future...I just don't know.


It's on my mind and shit. I'm just saying...

Peace,
KZ

19 comments:

twin said...

don't come back anywhere but here trying to get out myself

Unknown said...

Dude don't go back!

From what you wrote the environment is just not good for what you are trying to do/accomplish.

My 2 cents....

-SimplyB

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

Umm, I wasn't aware that people were still migrating to the D. Are you perhaps considering going suburban like your lady friend?

I don't think there's enough money to get me to go back to Oakland, not at this point in my life when there are so many places I haven't lived!

Anonymous said...

I would go back to the Bronx in a second. Yeah its Dirty, Dangerous...
...but my people are there, my church, my sisters, my oldest friends... I wouldnt be any safer in any other city.

Go back and move into a good building in a bad neighborhood, when it gentrifies (and it will) you will already be there. A deadbolt, large dog and a baseball bat and youre all set. LOL!

DivineLavender said...

I mean there was a reason you left. Have those reasons changed? Sometimes going back to anything old and stale can feel comfortable in a weird way...but it may not be progress.


Seeds in Detroit generally don't have enough fertile ground to blossom. Give them a good change and D, probably ain't it. You know that already, man.


Think, Mediate, Relax, and Listen to yourself.

-DivineLavender

PS. You never come over to my spot and leave a comment. With all the love and care in the world, I am deleting your access. I am sure you don't care but I just like to be upfront. You are still on my blog roll and I got to get my Munkee time.

Love ya!

Knockout Zed said...

@Twin
I don't know. Even a come back would be a temp move.

@Lawbaw
I'm listening. For real.

@AJ
I hate the 'burbs, you know that!!!

I'd love to move almost anywhere, since I haven't lived a lot of other places. But the job market has to cooperate.

@Chezniki
You have a valid point. Wait for the monied class to wise up and already have my anchor dropped.

@DL
PLEASE DON'T DELETE MY ACCESS!!! I'm serious. Everybody on the blog knows I haven't visited anybody's page in a minute. I apologize for that. I blame it on my general malaise and not on your excellent material. I will snap out of it, soon.

KZ

1969 said...

Zed...if you are already feeling ambivalent about it, think ong and hard.

If you're considering the move as a temporary one, make sure you have a set game plan and time table for what you want to accomplish and how long it will take.

Don't escape an unhappy situation for another. I'm praying for you!

onefromphilly said...

I'm gonna co-sign with DL on
"Think, Mediate, Relax, and Listen to yourself"

Take a real serious moment to do that! After undergrad I worked here for one year and then moved back to Philly. I knew the very day that I moved back that it was a mistake!! I stayed 12 years and the whole 12 years I felt like I was TRYING to make it work. I love Philly, it's home...But sometimes you just can't go back home. You can visit but not stay.
Just like the D, Philly has become a battle ground, I'm really happy that I didn't raise my son there! I may still move back to the Philly suburbs in the next 2 year, but not inside that City. Buying property in the D may be a good idea. Just stay flexible!

Major point is that if it doesn't feel RIGHT, don't try to make it feel right. Trust your gut!

proacTiff said...

Don't look back. You may get set back. Ask "Lot's" wife.

Onward marching,

the Movement.

~Broaden~

Open.

- The Dentist.

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

too bad you didn't expand your search to my side of the mississippi...

I'm just saying!

Miz JJ said...

I never believe in moving backwards. Ever. I would advise against taking that particular job. It will probably be the same bullshit as last time.

Sheletha said...

I thought this was all about money. I thought all they had to do is 'grease your palms'. now you coming up with some new shit. i thought your decision was going to be based on 'whatever makes your dick itch' or something or other. it sounds to me you really don't want to leave, that you have become complacent, that SA isn't as bad as its cracked up to be. Zed I want you to be happy, but you cant be happy if you keep moving the target.

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

he ain't complacent he in love with a girl in Detroit City!

Sheletha said...

He counted her as a perk, and thats cool. Thats 1 for Detroit. So, what are you going to do?

Honest said...

I've heard nothing but bad things about the "D" but I've never been so I can't say for sure. Good luck finding that position you want.

aquababie said...

probably some of the same reason you left are still in effect. if it was me, i wouldn't go back. and since you are talking about finding fertile ground to plant those seeds, who knows.

but we're not in your shoes. think about it and do what that comes naturally.

Shai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DivineLavender said...

Too late...hit me up when you are snapped out.
-DL

Organized Noise said...

Haven't been here in a while and it looks like a lot has changed. As far as this post, I'm gonna roll with the majority and say don't go back.