Thursday, August 16, 2007

Poli-Vixen

I was out after work a couple of days ago with my friend Agent Zero (a.k.a. Ja.da P.inkett on Slim Fast) and her girl UHN (Unpronouncable Hood Name). She wanted to talk about politics in general and her possible strategy for running for City Com.mission in specific.

AZ has got this yen to run kinda out of the blue. I know it comes from a heartfelt effort to help Black youth. But I'm a cynic, so I kept her honest. Why the fuck would anybody believe that being a politician is the best way to help ANYBODY? I'm serious. I've always thought politicians were delusional and/or corrupt. I personally I think that it's my job to stop as many new ones as possible from evolving.

So I ask her niche. She tells me there are no Black women of color being represented, she's a single mother and their concerns aren't being met, and minority health care is a major issue. I tell her she's right on both fronts. But the thing is we live in a city that's 82% non-Black. And they truly don't give a fuck if our needs are being met or not. Our com.mission is non-partisan, so without a political party behind you, you gotta find a way to raise money. It's a small town, and your really only need around $20,000 to win a job that pays $5000 a year. So I asked her to pick another topic she's passionate about that might resonate with "other" voters, to tap additional pockets of loot.

She tells me she's Pro-War. I'm shocked, but I tell her to elaborate. AZ says that America shouldn't have to live in fear because of external threats and that she's in favor of those threats being eliminated, by any means necessary. I listen, and I say o.k. I'm not there to judge, I'm there to advise.

I told her she's gotta suppress one set of views or the other. This is politics. Anybody who's in you corner on one set of the issues she supports will almost surely drop her based on her other point of view. I told her she should play up one or the other to get the money. It's a dirty business.

After that, we pretty much drank and talked shit until the spot cleared out. I hope to goodness she takes a pass on running this race.

Stay Focused,
KZ

3 comments:

1969 said...

Is UHN from Philly? I think I know her and some of her cousins.

onefromphilly said...

I think AZ aught to run on that "The US will kick your azz" platform. That would be real popular!

Anonymous said...

Side hustle, political consultant.

RNLA