Monday, February 26, 2007

The High Price of Being Nice

I had my little Fo.urth Fr.iday adventure this weekend. Once again, it was a rousing success. The theme was "Intro to Ballroom" and we really got some heads out with that shit. I'm a born cynic. I've never been into that ballrooming/stepping thing they love so much in the "D". It was like you're a fuckin' outcast if you can't do it. I always felt like you were a sheep if you could. So I perfected my "you'z a bitch" glare.


Which, coupled with my derisive laughter and my cocksure stance, made for a pretty good deterrent for Africans I knew not to do that shit around me.

But here I was, hosting an event where people were being taught the fundamentals of this shit. I got on the floor and did my thing too. I gave the young cats in my frat the chance to stand back and laugh derisively at me. Turnabout is fair play, I suppose.

People enjoyed themselves, though we had a problem with the women to men ratio. We were swimmin' in women (not literally, yo!) but brothers who were there had wives and chicks with 'em. The single cats couldn't spread around enough. Coupled with the fact that most of them were arrogant to the point of being standoffish, it made for a bad scene.

The dude teaching ballroom was a cool old dude, though he had a little problem with his plural tenses. "All y'all mens and womens git on the floor."

I don't think I need to be the host anymore. It's a lot of responsibility for the little shit, the in the moment shit. It's a small assed event with about 80 people, but I'm stressed leading up to it and I'm exhausted right afterwards. Dealing with music choice, food, money, event theme, giving direction to the bartender, and keeping folks happy. The worst thing about it is being a nice dude leaves you open for a lot of shit.

If you're too nice to a broad, especially a woman not considered "traditionally attractive" (like that euphemism?), she's offering you the pussy. Right then, right there. You can take that home that night. No questions asked. At least until the morning, when that question is "Are you taking me to breakfast?". If you turn it down, you gotta find the coolest way possible to do it or else your little event gets sabotaged. The life-blood of your event stops showing up and you're ruined.

That's all I got for now. Stay tuned.

One,
KZ

15 comments:

Gemini Girl aka GG said...

so u keeping em round til the morning??? i normally bounce..before the sun shows its face...I won't need breakfast *wink*...no seriously I'm sure everyone appreciates all you put into these gigs...

Sheletha said...

Agree with GG...what are they doing around until morning????

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

i'd like to see your dancing shoes...


just for kicks. pun intended!

onefromphilly said...

While you're being so nice to these broads, start talking about your girlfriend (real, imaginary or potential). Talk about how much you love her and how faithful you are to her. Let everything you say start with "my girlfriend and I ....." That's a polite way of throwing back the pu$$y being slung your way, and keep the patrons coming to the party.

Knockout Zed said...

@GG
Morning = One minute past midnight.

They really don't appreciate it and it shows.

@Sheletha
Making my bed.

@Miss Ahmad
You kinda silly.

@OneFrom
I thought about it, but I felt kinda corny in the process. I'mma have to slip it in somehow.

KZ

Miz JJ said...

You know if you do not organize it that it will die...right?

Women just be throwing the pussy away around your way. You sure you wanna move? I kid, I kid.

BZ said...

I'm with Philly - just say you have a girl. And, those events are a pain in the a$$. Fairly easy to put on, but all the small stuff is annoying and you don't want to be bothered with it. I SO FEEL you on that. I hate trying to think like other mf's - like, "what can they come at me with next? would I understand these instructions if I weren't me?" Glad the event seemed to go off well, though.

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

no for real...i wanna see your shoe!

Angel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angel said...

looking at that pic all i ca hear is "luke, i AM your father!!" HAHHAHAHA

Knockout Zed said...

@Miz JJ
That's the likely scenario. I'm sick of begging cats to step up.

To quote Phife Dawg: "If you didn't want me then, hon don't want me now".

@BZ
The devil's in the details, you know how that goes. I'm sick of constant questions about how we handle certain situations when we have 3 friggin' meetings to handle all this stuff beforehand. It's stupid and exhausting.

@Miss Ahmad
Here! Is this cool? Cole-Haan, size 14.

KZ

Knockout Zed said...

@FA
But no lips, right?

KZ

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

okay i feel much better now..i was just at nordstrom looking at some cole haans...

thanks babe that made my day!

Anonymous said...

Forget all that! With that hat on I had to click on the close up and make sure you hadnt cut your hair
:-{

Im with MizJJ, if you dont do it, no one will. Try delegating one task per person verbally with a corresponding email. That way if one person is a f*ck up, only one part of the event goes wrong. However, make sure you are in charge of the liquor and music, those are non-negotiable.

I luuv adult theme parties. Im about to plan my first bus trip. Wish me luck
:-o

Anonymous said...

Just saw the shoe...

Good Lawd!!! ((fanning self))

;-p