Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Quandries For Everybody

I've probably written about this before. If I have, excuse the self-indulgence for a moment. This is the conundrum most of us get into every election cycle. You elected a muthafucka, for whatever reason. Maybe his/her platform mirrored our personal beliefs, or maybe he/she was a cutie, or his/her mama used babysit us. Whatever reason we had, our person is in office.

Two, four or six years later, depending on the office, our boy/girl is up for re-election. In that time, we've found nothing of consequence that they've done to earn our vote again. In fact, at every opportunity to do "the right thing" they've either done nothing or acquiesced to the opposition.

If you are lucky enough to talk to them, the rational is likely to be something like this: the majority party did blah, blah, blah and we weren't able to push our agenda strongly. Or, we're in the majority party and we had a lot of things on our plates. Re-elect me and I'll be sure it gets done on our watch next go 'round. If I'm not in office, there is NO WAY your agenda gets addressed at all. Therein lies your conundrum.

A muthafuckin' in office doesn't have the balls to do anything life changing, because either they don't sense there is "constituent will" to do anything on that topic or they're looking towards re-election and not offending anyone. Then, when pressed, they claim that if re-elected, it'll definitely be the item they'll pursue. Your only alternative? The muthafucka in the opposition party that doesn't even have said item as a part of their platform or they actively oppose the stance.

That's the problem with our system as it stands. You can best believe that if Ba.rack O.bama (or worse Hillary Cl.inton) gets elected president, the state of civil rights (and I don't just mean "Black rights", I mean civil rights across the board) in this country will worsen. That's what the fuck I said: WORSEN. He doesn't have to be beholden to what the fuck you want, you'll vote for him anyway. What other choice you got? G.uiliani? Mitt Fuckin' Ro.mney? Good luck, African!

That's the shit that's got me disillusioned about politics in general. No balls. Any position any politician takes will coincide with who the fuck is financing his campaign. And believe me, it ain't you! Local politics is worse. There's nothing more untrustworthy than an ultra ambitious politician. When a muthafucka believes the sky's the limit, he/she will leave your ass high and dry on the way to greener pastures.

I really wish I could opt the fuck out and just not vote. If it wasn't for the history of lynchings, literacy tests, and poll taxes, I wouldn't. I just wish my shit mattered.

Peace,
KZ

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow a early post...you must have been thinking of this all night...

Knockout Zed said...

@Sixy
Great minds...

@Anon
I wrote three posts yesterday. I'm just stretching them out over the course of three days.

KZ

Gemini Girl aka GG said...

as a black woman I thought about not voting..would love to see a woman as president but hilary?? would love to see a black man but would this help?? *sigh* wish I was a bird..

The Brown Blogger said...

Only thing is if we sit it out and watch from the sidelines we can't have this conversation.

catch 22 like a muh fuh

onefromphilly said...

I developed this philosophy when I worked for the City of brotherly love:
POLITICIANS ARE TO BE USED, REACH OUT AND USE ONE BEFORE THEY USE YOU.

I lasted 12 successful yrs in city government. I can't work my philosophy here in DC. These MFer's on the national level, operate in a whole different reality!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it'll worsen, but it sure won't improve.

proacTiff said...

I wish I were a fly on the voting booth wall just to see who everybody else "settles" with... The operative word: settle.

Miz JJ said...

I co-sign with chele. Anybody who wants to be a politican is basically saying I love power and fucking people over. People who are in it for to help people end up quitting. That has been my personal experience.

BZ said...

I feel you on a number of counts. I have read Obama's books and I enjoyed/identified with them both. I like what I've heard from him. And, what I've seen in his voting records thus far. Other than that, what do we really have to go on? Clinton? While I liked her husband, that can't be the only reason I'd vote for someone. And, f*ck a Romney. That a$$ spent maybe 40 days in the state he "governed" this past year.

What pisses me off is I voted for Deval for gov. and now the f*cker is making himself look bad, along with the people that voted for him. At least for now, but it's only Month 3. Here's to hoping he'll straighten up.

I feel you.

Knockout Zed said...

@GG
I'm glad you're not a bird. Especially a pigeon. I want a statue erected someday!

@Hassan
See what I'm sayin'? That's the truth.

@OneFrom
The egoism must be astounding on the national level. I can't even imagine.

@Chele
I'm saying a muthafucka will always fuck his "immoveable base" to prove he can make tough decisions. When it comes to democrats, we're the first to get fucked. And a Black dem? Shiiiiittt!

@Tiff
It's all settling. I hate settling.

@Miz JJ
You're exactly right. Altruistic muthafuckas end up putting a bullet through their skulls.

@BZ
I can't trust a SINGLE SOLITARY POLITICIAN. None of 'em. I'm so done, I don't know what I'll do. I'm sorry to hear about Deval so soon, but it's not like I'm surprised.

KZ

aquababie said...

i'm with hassan. if i don't get out and at least "feel" like i did my part, then i have nothing to bitch about. and i like bitching about shit...sometimes.

BlackLiterature said...

Ok... you're involved in government on a local level and I'm not involved at all, so you may have a different perspective. Could you elaborate on your feelings re: Obama. Why would Civil Rights worsen??

What's interesting to me is that it seems that the Black "political establishment" has already aligned with Hillary. Not that the Black group needs to align with a Black candidate but why not consider other candidates?? Makes me like him more, because he is outside of the old guaard structure.

maybe I'm too much of an idealist

Knockout Zed said...

@Aqua
Who do you bitch to when you're part of the problem and not the solution. The system is just flawed.

@Sherri
Most Democrats have to prove they aren't "coddling" blacks nor are they "soft on crime". To prove they aren't in cohoots with terrorists, they'll show how willing they are to take away freedoms, ESPECIALLY a cat like Barack Hussein Obama. Being both Black and vaguely un-American, he'll have to show and prove.

KZ

DivineLavender said...

Look I will vote because blood stains my voter registration card, ya know! I do understand that I do count not one vote but if we all do something...someone has to even come to us. I mean, at least pay attention to me...act...tap dance for me.



I love me some Hillary. I am alright about Obama. I hate that we even have to think about then as a binary, EITHER.........OR.


You know I see how the laws and the "makers"...most importantly the lobbyist impact my life. So as much as I wish it were different I ain't packing up going to Mexico, Japan, Kuwait, or even Canada.

So I pay attention to the Sunday parade of politicians...and touch the screen each local and national election.

Anonymous said...

Politicians, for the most part, are crooked and they all have a personal agenda. Or maybe these are just ordinary people whose every insecurity and quirk are on the big screen for all of us to see.

Like One said, you have to use them to serve a particular purpose at a certain time. Like your men, you have to get what you need from different ones at different times.
:-P

One difference (among many) that I note between NYC and Boston Politics. If you cross too many of the wrong people (major voting blocs and/or donors) in NYC, you WILL get voted out of office in the very next term.

In Massachusetts, the incumbent only leaves office due to term limits or death. There is an invincibility factor to the politicians here. Those without term limits know that they pretty much have a lifetime position. Because of that, there is very little motivation to provide the voters with... well anything in the way of services, resources, etc. This is part of the reason the new Gov has such an uphill battle...

...sorry to post on your comments, Boo. But I luuv discussing politics...