Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Eulogy For A Beatmaker

Jay Dee a.k.a. J-Dilla a.k.a. James Yancey was pure Detroit. He was sublime hip hop producer. It's kind of selling him short to call him that. That cat was pure music. He loved beats. Bossa nova, jazz, rock, pop, whatever. If he heard it, he could make it better. The only connection I have with Dilla is that we both came from the Eastside of Detroit and we both were "heads". He was in his early 30's, I'm in my mid 30's. It's likely that we passed in the same circles.

I was an aspiring beatmaker and hip hop artist in the late 80's/early 90's. I was in a group called "Flavor From The Eastside Basement" an obvious nod to the likewise long-named "A Tribe Called Quest". He was from the Conant Gardens, I was from Ravendale. When Slum Village started making noise locally, I felt a twinge of jealousy. Then, when Dilla was tapped to be part of the Ummah, a beat making trio with Q-Tip and Ali Shaheed Muhammad of Quest, I was proud. Detroit hip hop would be represented nationally. He went on to produce songs like "1nce Again" and "Find My Way" for Quest, "Runnin" and "Drop" for the Pharcyde, "Stakes Is High" for De La Soul and lots of other joints.

Slum Village dropped the classic "Fantastic, Vol. 2" and it was all Dilla. A beautiful album from start to finish. He went on to produce the entire "Like Water For Chocolate" cd for Common. Another masterpiece. His fingerprints are all over hip hop. I've heard Dilla called your favorite producer's favorite producer. He was an incredible beatmaker and a hip hop stalwart. Jay Dee was the best thing that ever happened to Detroit hip hop. I went from jealousy to grudging admiration and finally I became a fan.

James Yancey died Friday of complications from Lupus. He will be missed.

KZ

3 comments:

Disco said...

*mouth open*

Wow. I had NO IDEA who this guy was and when they were pubbin his life and memory on "ghetto radio" i.e. WJLB I quickly dismissed him as somebody that MUST'VE worked with the "ghetto supastars" of Hip-Hop. I had NOOOOOOOOO IDEA!!! As much as I lovvvvvvve Quest, I LOOOOOOVE De La and Slum, I had nooooooooooooooooo idea who he was ans least of all that he was part of the sacred Ummah!!!! I am shocked and amazed. Seeing as though my nickname at MSU was Bonita Applebum, I shoulda know...*hanging head in shame*

Mr.Slish said...

I found out about Dilla in 2000. Been following his work ever since. I'm a big fan. When he left Slum Village after the fantastic voyage album their sound was never the same again. His beats had grit and substance. If there was a sample in those beats I never heard it. True genius. He will be missed. Gonna order that Donuts album he released on Feb 7th.

Zed. Here are a couple of artist I've come across with that same vibe. Strange fruit Project, Platinum Pied Pipers, The Avila Brothers, Nicolay from the Foreign exchange projects and 9th wonder

These cats can and will keep the Good music movement ALIVE!!!!

Knockout Zed said...

@Robyn
He's the 3rd MC in Slum Village, the first one that left the group. He was magnificent and I could've never imagined he was as good as he turned out to be.

@IBW
If you can ignore his bullshit guest MCs, a good CD to cop is "Welcome To Detroit".

@Slish
I'm already a big 9th Wonder fan. I'll check those other cats. I was gonna check Foreign Exchange just to hear Phonte do his thing.

KZ