Monday, April 16, 2007

Reading Is Accidental

I was off doing my volunteer thing this afternoon. Satan's Anus is a funny place. If your kids go to public school here, K thru 12, they go to any public college in Michigan for free. That's right, full tuition paid for. You wanna know the catch? The Black kids aren't graduating from high school. Or if they do, their grades suck. So I went to read to a class of second graders today trying to encourage them to attend college. They paired me up with this 70 year old white lady. She was pushy and cantankerous. Just what I needed. That's not even sarcasm, I needed her to take control.

We entered the classroom asking the kids what they knew about college and what they wanted to do when they grew up. They pretty much said what I thought they'd say. A lot of sports, cheerleading, hair stylists, modeling. Then they started asking questions.

"Y'all married?" "How old are you?" "You got any kids?" "Are you a wrestler?"

It's funny how these kids put me in the mind of kids I grew up with. They all looked so familiar. I found myself feeling sorry for their future selves, because I knew grown people that looked just like them. I'm answering questions and it's only like 5 girls asking me stuff. They're cheesing and giggling and shit. That's when it dawned on me that they're competing for my attention. When Emily, the lady I was partnered with said my name, they all squealed it at the same time and giggled. "Zed!" It finally happened. I'm a hottie to the prepubescent set. Now, if I was only 29 years younger...

We start reading to them and getting them to participate in the "how do you get there from here?" discussion and I start getting sized up by the little dudes.

"What do you do?" "I decide where buildings should go?" "Do you pick 'em up and move them?" he asked craning his neck dramatically to look up at me. One little fella, who looked much too big to be a second grader asked me questions about football. It was all getting a little overwhelming.

Then this girl came up to me. "You know my mama?" "What's your mother's name?" "Nikki." "Nikki what?" "Nikki Case. She's 34." "Nope." "What about Shonda Case? That's my aunt." "Nope, I don't know her either." "What about Te'Neeka Forest?" "Nope." "Yes you do! That's me!" Then she giggled and ran to sit down.

We tried to quiet the boisterous classroom down with book giveaways and wristbands, to no avail. Finally we thanked the teacher and said our goodbyes.

As I was leaving, this one little girl leaped from her seat and grabbed me by the legs, hugging me tightly. "Bye, Mr. Zed." "Bye, sweetie." I laughed as I left the room. Kids.

Stay Cool,
KZ

17 comments:

Mr.Slish said...

Don't you wish a chick grabbed your leg while leaving her apt...lol

ZED loves the kids

Anonymous said...

My best friend is a prof at wmich and he told me about **the promise**. I was seriously considering packing up the kids and moving there just for that reason. Then I remembered that I hate winter and opened college funds.

calikim9 said...

Zed, you are a wonderful person. The more I learn about you the more I respect you.

Knockout Zed said...

@Slish
That happened to me once. But that's only because I stole her purse.

@Chele
Send me an email so I can find out your your friend is.

The trade off sucks: free college vs. living in Satan's Anus.

@CaliKim
I really do suck. I like big booties and plasma TVs much more than I like kids.

KZ

The Brown Blogger said...

I second that your last remark, but... I have nieces and nephews and all my people have children. Doing what I do outside of earning a wage has me in their sights at all times, so at least I can lead by example some of the damn time.

Anonymous said...

Were you 'giving back' to the community?
...or were you scoping out future babysitters for Little Zedrina, Taddeus and the twins? ((grinning))

My favorite was, "Do you pick them up and move them?" A future construction worker or engineer, no doubt.

Im no good with kids... they scare me
:-[

Beana said...

lol at the kids...they kill me with all that. Checking on what you driving and how you living before they consider anything you say.

Why are these kids not graduating and going to college for free???

What pains me most is that nobody wanted to be a doctor, scientist, etc. *sigh* the state of the future is....

Disco said...

My child SHALL.KNOW that he simply has no choice whether he does well or NOT. I am telling him NOW that he WILL be graduating from college and that I am proud of him. I wonder if those kids don't have that in their lives.

But maybe that isn't a big help either....but I will not know until I try. I know one thing.....I am working on MINE to expose him to as MANY things as I can because I believe that exposure is a path to more options and more dreams and HOPEFULLY a better future.

You did good today Zeddie :-)

Anonymous said...

I lost your email address. I know, I suck. send me one at chele_rene@hotmail.com

Gemini Girl aka GG said...

post title shoulda been "Training Day" ... preparing now for the rugrats huh??...awww ain't that cute! cheerleaders?? wow!

I remember back in the day all the girls wanted to be teachers and the boys doctors..ob/gyns to be specific! LOL

onefromphilly said...

I totally agree with Robin!! I'm conditioning my child NOW and have been since he was a baby. I tell him he WILL graduate from college, and WHEN he does he can start his own company or be the CEO of Disney. That Disney line was a good hook when he was little. LOL
And I think it is a big help beause "high expectations breeds high results". That's a quote from Sam Walton, founder of WALMART.

I'm sorry that most of these kids probably don't get that at home.

Believe it or not, your visit could have a positive impact on those kids.

Angie said...

I've been taking my kid to college fairs since she was in the 6th grade. Now that she's getting ready to go off to college (far away from me)I have to fight the urge to say, "Don't you want to stay here with me and go to beauty school?" LOL

Miz JJ said...

Look at Zeddie giving back. Cute. I also think that university is not the only way. If I have a child and they are not academically inclined I will suggest alternatives like being a tradesperson. I think we need to stop pushing 4 year universities as the only answer.

BZ said...

I'm with Chele! LOL But hey, definitely a good look in hangin with the kiddies. It's important they see more people like you, like themselves, makin it - with an honest hustle.

Little Brown Girl said...

LMAO @ r u a wrestler? LOL!! You gotta admit that one required a little smarts on their part HA!

This was so cute...kids have such an honest nature about them. They have no idea just how screwed they are because of the ignorance of their own parents. Zeddie I am proud of you for volunteering in this kind of activity. They need to see more big black wrestlers like you my dear *wink*

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

don't tell them about stripper poles okay?

Anonymous said...

miss ahmad keeps me laughing...