Monday, September 18, 2006

The Omen

Maybe I should've ordered something else just to get a different total.



This is a story. A story of sacrifice and redemption. A story fathers should tell sons and sons should ignore, mainly because life would become boring if people didn't repeat mistakes like this one.

Meli, my young protege, is trying to hold it down in Nebraska of all places. Her great new gig is in the rottenest of places, but she's maintaining. She and I are in similar situations, both from Detroit and separated from our 'hood roots. She's 25, so I think she might be coping better than I am, seeing as I'm more set in my ways.

She's been cyber-dating, which is something the youngsters seem to enjoy these days, along with their MW-8 players and their rock and roll, which is fine by me. I mean, who am I to judge? So anyways, as I was saying, Meli picked herself up a feller offa the cybernet and he began a courtin' and whatnot.

This guy is a young, successful Black man, making goo-gobs of loot, in this dearth of Black success known as Nebraska. So she's happy and they decide to go out on a date.

He's mad young, just like she is, so his conversation tends to be lacking. Like he's pretty self centered and seems to have some sort of hetero-crush on his frat brothers, judging by the way he talks about them. But she kinda likes the feller, so she lets it slide. (This is the sacrifice part.)

Two days later, this cat calls her at midnight. For all y'all that pay attention, this is one hour past the Booty Call Parallax. He then leaves a text that says "I miss you, I want to see you." Unfortunately (or fortunately) for him, she doesn't see it for hours later because she's sleeping. She's awakened by the next text he sends at 2:30 am. "I'd really like to see you tonight." He's buggin' she thought, and returned to sleep. At 5:00 am Meli is awakened again, as he sends her picture mail. It's a picture of himself, lest she forget. She is highly irritated at this point. When looking at the picture, incredulously, she sees her phone number at the bottom along with 4 other phone numbers. This arrogant asshole has slipped up. He sent the same thing to 4 other chicks, hoping one would respond the right way. It's the oldest trick in the book, the ol' "buckshot method", used by wanna be playas and Dick Cheney.

She calls him right then and there. "African, you done fucked up! You have fucked up this time, dude. " He's talking, he's backing up, fast talking and shit. "Please let me explain." She stands firm and hangs up on him, contemplating whether or not to give this heads up to these other chicks.

So, she does what any intelligent, distressed, bosomy woman would do: call Big Zed for advice.

"Listen, Meli, don't call them chicks. Just let that cat stew in his juices. He's shook, you don't have to do any more."

He called her again and begged her to see him just for a minute so he could explain. She gave this dude a window. "You can come over, but I might not let you in." "OK, I'll take my chances. I'll be over in an hour."

I talked to her on the phone as she tried to figure out what she was going to do with him. I had to kick her off the phone before he got there, because I had business of my own to handle...with the TV.

As I was cocooning, watching The Wire, I get a text message. "Zed, I called those other chicks and gave them the 411 on ol' dude. He's done. Finished!" (That's the redemption part.)

Peace,
KZ

*UPDATE: I left out an important part. He said he'd be over in an hour and he never showed, thus pissing her the fuck off even more.*

32 comments:

Blah Blah Blah said...

Aaa...my take is this...
I'dda kept him around ... why you ask mon Ami? Because you said "making goo-gobs of money" right?
Well there you go... I relaize what he is "wannabe player"... hence he is no longer suitable for a "relationship" but now suitable for reserve bank...

That's my take... *I hope I didn't disaapoint you with this comment...I tried to stay true to form*

So...Wise...Sista said...

Never been to Nebraska...but I def know this dude. He's everywhere. And he wears his age on his bigfaced Timex. lol Your girl is young too, so you know she wasnt trying to hear that 'let him simmer' nonsense. But not young enough to let it slide, which is good. Dude sounds corny as fcuk!

Newy said...

I'm with Blah on this...I would have kept him around just because of those very same reasons...but he would have moved from the "potential" list to the "something to do" list. and by do, I don't mean screw.

chele said...

Reading this story makes me glad that I'm in my 40s and no longer on the market. I wouldn't have wasted my time calling the others and I sure wouldn't have allowed dude to come by.

onefromphilly said...

Good thing dude didn't run into me when I was 25. He would have wasted his money, his time and his energy and then would have gotten kicked to the curb with the quickness. An amatuer "player" was like a sacrificial lamb when I was young and self centered.

Your girl did right. The "game" out there is re-fukkin-diculous!

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

the good thing about being a 25 year old woman is that you can have just about any man you want!

the bad thing is you have no idea how to decipher who is good for you and who isn't!

sogladi'mnottwentysomethinganymore

Miz JJ said...

I'm glad she let those other four women know the real deal that dude. Wannabe player. He's such a punk.

aquababie said...

i hate she's out there with a shortage of brothers. i hope she doesn't get desperate and have a change of heart.

1969 said...

I am so glad I am not 25. If you have already busted the man, why would you tell him he can then come over but you may not open the door? YOU ARE PLAYING YOURSELF.

Hang up. Go back to bed and get some sleep.

Knockout Zed said...

@All y'all
In the spirit of this post, I will respond to all of you like I would have when I was 25.

@Blah
Baby, what you wearin'?

@So Wise
So Wise, baby, what you wearin'?

@Newy
Newy, what you wearin', mama?

@Chele
Ay yo, can I come over?

@OneFrom
Really, baby, what's marriage? You wanna come over?

@Miss Ahmad
I swear I'm only gon' put in the tip!

@Miz JJ
It only looks big, see? It'll fit.

@Aqua
You always be wearin' my favorite color. And you be smellin' good, too.

@69
I mean, he ain't here now. I don't wanna talk about him, let's talk about us.

KZ

BZ said...

This may sound harsh, but I've been in a similar situation: Girl deserves to be disappointed/pissed off even more because she told him he *could* come over and then he never showed. That's a sign she wanted him to redeem himself, probably for her. Ain't gonna happen. She should have just written him off. And, definitely, don't go calling the other women. A waste of time - cuz they'll all do the same thing you did. And, I'm sure he did end up getting some that morning. *shaking head*

Knockout Zed said...

@CG
You sorta mean.

KZ

Knockout Zed said...

@BZ
He probably did get his from somewhere. Because he could. I should be so lucky.

KZ

ChezNiki said...

This could happen to a woman of any age...who is dealing with a young (early twenties) man. He doesnt have his game tight yet. Im glad she notified the other ladies. Dudes in these small towns need to step up their game or get benched...

...he sounds like he's on the DL. In luv with frat...wanting to prove himself by scooping multiple women.

Knockout Zed said...

@Chezniki
He could possibly be a DL dude, but I'd like to attribute it to a phase of unhindered arrogance. Young women tend to talk about their infant relatives (little nephew or niece, little cousin, etc.) incessantly. Young men tend to talk about their homeboys incessantly. It's how we're wired I guess.

The multiple women thing could be an overcompensation thing, so the DL is still a possibility. Or he coulda just been horny.

KZ

Mr.Slish said...

Its a lesson learned..Every woman goes through it...Junior sent the same text to 4 different shawties huh..Gotta luv it!!! I bet he got some pussy that night too...lol

Knockout Zed said...

@Slish
I bet he did, but he's gotta be kicking himself. He fucked up with a pretty nice one and possibly four more.

On the blog, women always ask me why I'm not straightforward with the women I deal with. "Just tell 'em the truth and it'll be cool. We can take it." We all know what they say about a woman scorned, don't we Slish?

KZ

Honest said...

Unfortunately this young man will probably do the same thing over again. While your girl wasn't up for it there are a bunch of other girls of 25 to 65 who would have fallen for the okiedoke. If women continue to let men get away with nonsense they will.

BZ said...

Zed: If you weren't in such a funk about sex, I'm sure you could get yours. But you gotta want it and put some effort forth!

Mr.Slish said...

@ ZED Yes we muthafuckin do!!!!!

Hot grits in yo draws!!!

Hot sauce mixed in with your pancake syrup,

Their personal signature written all over the hood of your car,

Your cell phone messages erased before you even get to listen to them,

A website dedicated to you FULL of digitized pictures of you wearing Lingerie !!!

Credit card bill statement for an enormous amount of money comes in the mail addressed to you!

Slasher STOP IT!!!

Slish i'm just saying!!!

Knockout Zed said...

@Honest
Dudes are shady as fuck, no doubt. I just didn't understand the need to call those other women. It wasn't out of sisterhood. I can't name more than 2 women who like one another. Even my sisters!

@BZ
I think I'm oozing depression out of my pores. I know it's evident to anyone that comes in contact to me.

@Slish/Slash
Dude, you know as well as I know, a woman dissed is trouble, whether it's warranted or not.

Like I said before, I've been hit in the head with a golf club, had my clothes slashed, and had a chick's cousins trying to beat me down.

Back in 1995 my boy broke up with the woman and all over every freeway in Detroit written with red spray paint it was "John Smith has herpes", using his actual name of course. Robyn might remember that shit.

KZ

Mr.Slish said...

@ Zed LMAOF!!!!

Phoenix said...

damn internet dating.

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

one day she'll grow up and realize that he wasn't worth the energy it takes to chew gum.

has she considered dating white men or temporary lesbianism?

ChezNiki said...

You sound like you need to come on back East, so you can get a hug...

...from Blah

Knockout Zed said...

@Phoenix
Yes, indeed. Damn it all to hell.

@Miss Ahmad
I don't know and I refuse to ask!

@Chezniki
Damn! You're inviting me East to get a hug from another chick? That's a dis!

KZ

Angel said...

hahahahahhaha @ blah cubed!

Newy said...

BTW...he had no intentions on coming Zed...he just wanted to see if he could. Can't hate the player, hate th game. She set herself up for that.

Knockout Zed said...

@Newy
I got an update on this story!!! Do you wanna hear it? Let me know.

KZ

DivineLavender said...

NOTE TO SELF: Got to keep me some spray paint and ride on some expressways..


I am da debbil...He He He.

Nika Laqui said...

What the hell is Pumpkin ale?

Beer? Alcohol content?

How does it taste?

First off, it wouldn't have been a big deal to me, unless we consummated our relationship and it was some good sex....

But if not, so what....

Do you, I just know what you on, which she should know anyway, young guys hit everything thats moving, its a competition, who can hit the most ass...

And if its a matter of who I know I will definitely get lucky with tonight and who gives the best head....then thats where he's headed....

He had to have a back up plan...for the back up plan, just in case his back up plan didn't go as planned...

Its always good to have a back up plan...

And I'm not calling no other girls, for what???

They don't know you....and could give a fuck about you, cause one of them was over there giving him the goods regardless...it made for great make up sex...

Knockout Zed said...

@DL
That was the illest shit ever. Don't do it!!!

@Mack
He coulda tightened his shit up though. It was kinda disrespectful.

@Nsane
These Saltines invited me out for Pumpkin Ale, their fall brew. Yes, it's made with real pumpkin. It is disgusting, but I gave it a shot.

I told her not to call, but y'all have y'all own minds. You seem like a woman that knows the time, though.

KZ