Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Go See The Doctor

What up, hottentots? Hope everything is good with you. I had a meeting this afternoon with one of my old professors from Mi.ch.igan St.ate. She was interviewing me for a paper she's writing on Blacks in our field that came through the program at State. It's funny, she once gave me a 0.0 in one of her classes and here she was talking to me about the status of the profession. The curriculum I was in was hella small, so the professor/student relationships were pretty tight. Except if you never attended class. *ahem*

Talking to her was some cathartic shit. She asked me some questions that surprised me and I think I surprised her with my answers. I told her I'd never tell another Black kid to come into this profession. Not one. It will crush your enthusiasm.

Afterwards, Dr. Henry asked me if I ever thought about pursuing my Ph.D and becoming a professor myself. I laughed. "After what I just said about discouraging kids to pursue this as a career? Dr. Henry, do you remember me as a student? I had the lowest G.P.A. allowed to graduate. I was an awful undergraduate."

Dr. Henry insisted that I have what it takes to do it. I don't know if I do, but I wouldn't do it. She said I had more practical experience than any other graduate of the program she's talked to. I was also the highest ranking one. All I know is books be makin' me sleepy.

All in all, it was good to see someone who knew me way back when see me doing OK.

Peace,
KZ

11 comments:

Blah Blah Blah said...

You sell yourself short...you have shit else to do...fuck it...go get that there PhD boy!

Nice going where someone knows your name, huh?

Anonymous said...

You already know my take on it, Professor.

And I'm with you AND Blah...text books make me sleepy...but you ain't got shit else to do...make it happen!

Oh yeah...you won't have time for that PhD with all of the international travel that you will be doing...right?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I just wanna pop you in the back of your neck.

aquababie said...

i say go for it! you would probably make a great professor.

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

naw don't bother it will suck....

DivineLavender said...

Venus Hottentot?!? Deep, real deep!

Angel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angel said...

truthfully, that's what motivates me to do what i do--thinking about the impact i have on others. and even though there are (and will forever be) bureacracy that pisses me the hell off, i know that the end definitely justifies the means. for example, my undergrad GPA is no where near a reflection of the person i am or the commitment i now have for students. i'm sure it surprises my former professors (and grade school teachers too) when i go back now and let them know i'm a freakin' doctoral student at the university of texas. sometimes the best person for the job isn't the one who was perfect and cookie-cutter. sometimes that eclectic person with the ambition and determination that might not have always come across as such, is really the person folks shoulda been checkin' for in the first place... ;-)

1969 said...

I'm with Chele....LOL

Knockout Zed said...

@Blah
Blah, indeed.

@TS
Ahhh...Professor!
*snappingbacktoreality*
Yeah, I'm about to be the flight king. I gotta get that passport.

@Chele
I luv you too!

@Aqua
I would suck at being a professor. As long as female students come equipped with vaginas, I don't need to teach.

@Miss Ahmad
I know, right?

@DL
I wasn't referring to the Venus Hottentot, even though I loves a big ol' booty. I was thinking more of the traditional sense of the word, trying to turn a negative into a term of endearment. You know like the infamous "N" word.

@BSTT, b.k.a. FA
Dr. BSTT, I applaud you. I couldn't do it. I'm a fuck up in the traditional sense. Trust me.

@Sixy
All this physical violence!

KZ

Miz JJ said...

Liar. I know books don't make you sleepy.