Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Chautauqua 2007

Quality: something special about an object or person
Can you rock a party without rehearsing?
I can, anytime, on the spot rhyme
Many recording artists can't do it, but I'm
More than just a recording artist kicking dust
I'm a sandstorm, taking human form.
Blastmaster KRS-One, "Part-Time Sucker", By All Means Necessary, 1988.

I wrote this post that I thought was amazing. My browser crashed before I saved it. I'm trying to reproduce this thing from memory, so if you sense some frustration in this post, forgive me.

I'm spending this year trying to live my life with a sense of "quality". First, I'd like to be able to define "quality", then I'd like to be able to implement it standard level in which I produce things in my life.

Quality is defined by each individual differently. After all, one man's "quality" is another man's shoddy workmanship. I know that I haven't produced anything of "quality" in a long time. I am working using someone else's standards, so I tend to lower my work according to what they need. That's professionally, though. I haven't lived a quality life by my standards.

A man can sustain himself off the low hanging fruit on a tree, but is that really living? If you're willing to do a little climbing, go up a few branches, the fruit gets better and better the higher you go. Why just "sustain", when you can live an enjoyable, "quality" existence?

Shit, I shortcut myself to death. Going through the drive-thru is a hell of a lot easier than going to a little market, getting fresh food and cooking at home. I sacrifice my health and TASTE (a major component of eating!!!) for expediency's sake.

There is a person living inside of me that I am slowly killing. He craves artistic fulfillment, challenges, and beauty. I'm making him settle on all fronts. Instead of artistic fulfillment, I make him settle for blogging. Instead of challenges, I make him settle for slights and affronts. Instead of beauty, I make him settle for "not ugly". I'm sure he's sick of low hanging fruit.

Not a resolution in the purest sense, I'll make myself a promise. I will make every attempt to not shortchange myself and to pursue quality with a fervor.

Regards,
KZ

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You definitely deserve better than the low hanging fruit. We all do. Recognizing that WE are the one's responsbile for not pursuing better is a positive step. I can't deal with those that point fingers in every other direction except at ourselves. Good luck to you.

onefromphilly said...

BRAVO !!!!

I second that emotion!

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

i sense some interpretive dance moves butt naked by moon light coming on as you get in touch with your inner child...and dammit i applaud it!

i live my life out on a limb and it sure in the hell ain't easy but i wouldn't have it any other way!

1969 said...

Excellent post. I am feeling you on this one. Well said Zed..(that rhymed).

Little Brown Girl said...

WOW Zeddie that was a great post. Very thought provoking. We all tend to take the low road cause the high road is just way too much fukin work to get across...but the way you said it was way more interesting. Thats the writing I love so much Zeddie...remember: HEAD UP!

Knockout Zed said...

@Chele
I know my shortcomings fall on me. Sometimes I know I'm too hard on myself. Most of the time I just feel like I should be doing more.

@OneFrom
I glad you feel me on this.

@Miss Ahmad
Stay right there on that limb. I'm comin' to get cha!

@Mack
We all gotta do better. Even if no one's watching. Shit, especially if no one's watching.

@Sixy
Thanks, mama.

Why is Wonder Woman makin' me horny?

@RD
This post really sucks in comparison the the first one I wrote, but I appreciate the luv.

I'm tryin' to keep my head up. I gotta stop being so afraid of the effort.

KZ

So...Wise...Sista said...

Is that it...you're afraid of the effort? What do you think is the worse that can happen? Joy?? And I'm not even being facetious. I really wanna know...and I'm interested in knowing if YOU know.
Shit, whats the harm...and I'm talking about the writing now...in just trying?

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

i'm more interested in the interpretive dance movements...can you do a video blog for us please?

Anonymous said...

Fear of Failure(or success) keeps a lot of people on that low fruit diet. Your harshest critic is yourself. I dont know you well, but if even half of what you say about yourself is true, at 36 you have completed, succeded at and excelled in many areas that most Black men can only dream about...at twice your age. You are accomplished already.

Now if you want more...by all means, go get it. But dont self-flagellate as you travel down the road to Super Zeddom.

...Oh and Happy New Year
:-P

-ChezNiki

Shai said...

Sounds like fear of trying and slipping into mediocrity as a comfort zone. But as we all know stagnancy causes us to atrophy, meaning don't use it you lose it.

I think alot of folks are slipping into mediocore living to avoid working harder.

We are a fast food, microwave, cellular surge society. We want everything easy and fast. When quality takes time and effort. A home cooked meal is better than a fast one.

Create and write, what else do you have to do before you die? Let go of the defense walls and feel free.

Anonymous said...

You inspired my latest post at my new spot...

Mr.Slish said...

Ha!!!! Thats what i'm talking about..no more nickle and diming...Grab the bull bruh...lol...I'm gone but I'm still watching!!!

Sangindiva said...

Life is short and tomorrow is not promised.
You are weeeeeellll versed in half assed living.
LIVE- the way YOU want to without wondering
if it is the "PC" thing to do.
Regret is a horrible cologne to wear...

having said all that...
since it's '07 and I'm all about livin' it up-
um, can I beat? (I mean- no strings attached or anything...LOL!!!)

BZ said...

Good sh*t. I think I'm working on something similar. I vowed to make better decisions for myself, particularly in the realm of finance, relationships and health. As such, I think I'm working ultimately toward improving the "quality" of my life as I experience it. :) *huggs* And best wishes!

Angel said...

"I'll make myself a promise. I will make every attempt to not shortchange myself and to pursue quality with a fervor..."

can you see me co-signing this one???

Ming Houser, Realtor said...

This post hit home. I saw myself reflected all through your words. Damn. The truth hurts...staring at the man in the mirror. Someone told me yesterday, "Dynasty, you do nothing but bide your time. You're a perfectionist and you let that be an excuse to hold you back." I want everything to line up a certain way before I do the next thing. I settle in the process.

Ring a bell?