Thursday, January 25, 2007

Clueless and Clamless

I was slinking into the bank yesterday at lunchtime. Just trying to dip in and out. They are really friendly at my branch. The bank manager and one of the tellers are sistas, so it's always good to see 'em when I come in. But yesterday when I walked in, I just wanted to get back out. The gig was really at it's worst. Staff coming into my office about insignificant shit, hourlong meetings on shit I don't need to know about, and meetings on shit that's over my head. I needed a break, however short.

So I walk in the bank yesterday, regular last Wednesday of the month routine. I'm getting a cashier's check to pay the rent. The manager asks me if I've met with her aunt lately, a community organizer. Yeah, small town shit. I told her I hadn't seen her. She made a little more small talk, tugging on her hair and smiling. I mean this strange little smile. I filled out my paperwork and walked up to the counter.

"Those women treating you right at work, Zed?" the teller asks. I really do unload when I come in here. I gotta cut that shit out. "Not really. Naw." "What you been doin'? You been hangin' out lately?" "No. I've been stayin' out of trouble." Now she's looking at me, smiling this really big smile and giggling. "Look at you. I like your hat. And your scarf. And your tie." I give her this sideways look. "What's goin' on this weekend?" Now I'm buggin'. What the fuck is in the air? "Well, my frat is having this little happy hour fundraiser for our scholarship. It's Friday. Come out, tell some folks." "Oh, I'll be there."

It was the weirdest thing. It was an extra flirty assed experience and I couldn't figure out why it was different. The more I think about it, the more I think the difference was evident. I was completely and utterly disinterested.

I swear I'll never understand women as long as I live.

One,
KZ

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right -- so stop trying. Now that you've realized that, don't you feel better?

onefromphilly said...

Chele is right, don't even try to figure. Just go with the flow... She was flirting because she finally got up enough nerve to try. Got it?

Knockout Zed said...

@Chele
I should quit years ago and saved myself some gray hairs.

@OneFrom
She just got up the nerve? Really? I don't buy it!

KZ

1969 said...

Maybe she just dumped her man and she can start prowling again?

Just go with it Zed.

BZ said...

I have to cosign with the consensus. Stop trying to understand and just enjoy the attention. Everyone likes a challenge now and again. And who knows, maybe she finally got up the courage. Or, maybe she feels her sh*t or her situation is finally in a place where she can start lookin.

It always comes when you don't want ir, or when you're not even looking.

Miz JJ said...

Maybe she just took a good look at all of your financial information and decided you were a good investment? Kidding.

SynSational said...

I'mma have to agree with everyone else, stop trying to figure it out....that's my motto this week, don't try to figure it out, go with it. I've yet to blog about the decisions I have to make soon.

aquababie said...

maybe she got her swagger back...you never know.

but on the real...valentine's day approaches! LOL that chic trying to square up her date early

Knockout Zed said...

@All
Re-reading the story, I think I didn't convey this properly. There were two different women throwing me the vibes, the bank manager and the bank teller. See? That's why it struck me as so weird. Two women who'd never came at me before now BOTH comin' at me?

I'm used to gettin' a little shit thrown in my direction, but it ain't all pretty.

onefromphilly said...

The manager was mildly flirting.
I was talking about the Teller finally getting enough nerve to make a move. Or like others have said, maybe her situation has changed and she's back in the game.

But I really think that you were just looking extra delicious and they couldn't resist!

aquababie said...

dude your "scent" was working overtime! LOL

Knockout Zed said...

@OneFrom
Extra delicious?
*crickets*

@Aqua
I think my scent is skunk. I'm all "Le Pew-ed" out up in this piece.

KZ

Ming Houser, Realtor said...

Don't even try.

Gemini Girl aka GG said...

I had to smile at this one..that's us...the chicks that don't want you when you are begging but if you act dis-interested in us or even interested in someone else..we'll hump you in a hot minute! maybe it was the tie???

Angel said...

i KNEW it! as soon as you wrote that she was "tugging on her hair and smiling," i KNEW that she was getting her courage up! gone and invite that damn girl to the happy hour! if anything, she'll tell her friends about "the lovely time she had with some grown ass men..." ;-)

SynSational said...

Whoa....Rob has a good point.

The Stiltwalker said...

she was itching for a scratch. for real.

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

when do we get to the part that you admit that you are more attractive now that you have a steady lady friend to kick it with?



just lemme know okay?!

Knockout Zed said...

@Mack
You are correct, sir. Neva that!

@Dyna
Ditto. I see ya.

@GG
You're right! It might have been my Kama Sutra tie.

@FA
As long as they pay, they can all come to the Happy Hour. They can form a I Fucked/Wanna Fuck Zed Coalition.

@Syn
I know, right?

@Stilts
Itchin' for a scratch? What a quaint, oddly old school reference for such a young woman.

@Miss Ahmad
There it is. I was waiting for this.

I don't have a steady lady friend. There is this woman I like a lot. I'm still not sure how she feels about me. That's it.

I don't think unrequited love counts in that whole "taken so he's cuter" equation.

KZ

Shai said...

Pheramones(sp?) LOL. You had a scent and a vibe going on. LOL.

I do find it funny when I am in a fool mood or what to be isolated here comes guys pushing up on me.

Anonymous said...

But I took them away from all that,
and now they work for me,
my name is Knockout...


Maybe not, but seeing your future, even just a little glimpse can make you walk taller and look right tasty. Call it pheromones, sway or swagger, you got it...or more of it than you had last month when you went in to get your rent check...

...she is lucky to have you.

Hope your real frat business went well tonight.