Thursday, March 01, 2007

Game Over

It always happens in my head like this:

I see the woman of my dreams across the room at a social gathering. A formal get together. Everyone’s drinking, including the two of us. I smile. She looks over at me, a little startled, then she looks away. I walk over and I start my spiel.

I’m equal parts Tricky (from the little seen, vastly underappreciated “Under The Cherry Moon”), James Bond, Detroit Red, and my older brother Zachary. I can’t lose. Except for the part of me that’s Zach. Zach always loses, but he’s funny in the process.

“Enjoying yourself?” I ask, not particularly interested in the answer, but willing to listen. “I don’t know. It’s a little staid for my taste. How about you?” “I can’t say that I’m not enjoying myself, but I understand your dilemma. You don’t have the same things to look at as I do.” At that point I sip, waiting to see if this bullshit bait is taken. “Point taken,” she says, smiling, “but the view isn’t so bad from where I’m standing either.” She sips, giving me time to contemplate what comes next. “Perhaps we can find something else to do, go somewhere that’s a bit more to your liking.” “What do you have in mind?” “I have a place in mind. It’s someplace where we can ruminate on the origin of the phrase ‘fits like a glove’.” I take her hand, and we take leave of our guests.

This is the way it would happen in real life:

I’m over a friend’s house that is having an informal get together. I see the woman of my dreams who is clearly irritated that I keep looking in her direction. As soon as she dips away from the rest of the crowd, maybe to go to the kitchen or the restroom I’m there.

“Ay, how you doin’?” “I’m fine.” “You sholl is. Dang. It’s like them jeans is sewed around that ass.” “Excuse me?” I start to speak louder, “I said, ‘It’s like them jeans is sewed around that ass’.” The woman then walks off in a huff and rejoins the rest of the group.

I was born with an affliction called formally known as Lackus Schemia, or the Zed Zednanreh Syndrome. (What kind of irony is that to be afflicted with a condition named after you?) I gots no game. None. Nada. It doesn’t exist. My last name nor my brother’s last name is Parker. There is no Milton Bradley in my family tree. I believe that all the run I’ve ever gotten has been in spite of the shit that comes out of my mouth.

It takes a certain amount of braggadocio and bluff to pull off the Mack thing. I lack both of those things in spades. I hate braggers and name-droppers. And I can’t bluff to save my life. If I’m standing in front of you, I’ll never be able to convince you of something that wasn’t true. My face is a living lie detector. It gives up the goods on me every time.

If I had some level of game, I’d be a master hustler, probably at least “hood rich” or something. I wonder how much shit I leave on the table by being a dork.

Be Easy,

KZ

17 comments:

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

you was born in the D and ain't got no game?

I mean hell even white boys can jump!

Sometimes having no games is game, use what you got sugar! Being from the Eastern Region of Oakland I was raised on game, which may or may not be a good thing.

Angel said...

i was raised on game too and nothaving game is definitely STILL game! i agree with miss ahmad, use what you got (or don't got) to get what you want boo!

Miz JJ said...

For someone with no game you do not seem to be lacking female attention. I guess you never needed it.

Anonymous said...

“You sholl is. Dang. It’s like them jeans is sowed around that ass.”

You would actually say that?

onefromphilly said...

NO...No he would not use that corny azz line!!!! Nothing could convince me of that. LOL

onefromphilly said...

This is about writing!

1969 said...

This post is really about writing.

"It’s like them jeans is sowed around that ass.” This allegory alludes to his love of the spoken word an how it is wrapped around his soul.

proacTiff said...

It's clear that what you lack in game you make up for in your ability to write. So, create this mack-a-docious character and ride them fantasies into fruition. Figuratively speaking, that is. An intellectual man is a big turn-on for me. And don't let that fellow sport glasses and spit some impromptu poetry to boot. [Melting]. Come to think of it, the ladies are right...Having "no game" is game recognized. My husband swears he had no game. Damn. I've been played. Bout to go "Flip, Game Over, on his ass!" [Rolls eyes]

Pro'

Knockout Zed said...

@Miss Ahmad
Sad but true. My brother has game on top of game. Me? Nothing.

He used to drive me to unfamiliar hoods when I was like 12 or 13. He'd kick me out the car and say "Go get that girl's number or I'm leaving you here". I'd go over to the girl and say "Don't look, but my brother is in that car and he won't take me back to the eastside unless you give me your number. You don't even have to give me the real one, just give me a number so I can get a ride home." True story.

@FA
Y'all say "having no game is game", but that's without seeing me in action.

@Miz JJ
It's because I'm devastatingly good looking. No game involved.

@Chele
Wait till I meet you. You'll see.

@OneFrom
My favorite line is "Baby, do you have ass mumps? 'Cuz that muthafucka is on swole!"

@Sixy
Yeah, that's it. Allegorical. LOL

@Pro
Evidently your husband got game and then some, cuz he got you. He had all the assets, and he had a creative way of letting you know he was that guy. Me? I'm wack, but I'm working on it.

KZ

onefromphilly said...

You are so silly!!! LOL

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

i think it sounds like appropriately you have square game...

which is a close relative to having no game but not the same thing.

Anonymous said...

You lying!!! You do have game. The question is, "When do you want to play the game and with whom"???

Angie said...

Shit on game! Mesmerize em with them scrump-dili-ishus lips! ; ) Lips like that can say all kinds of dumb stuff and still get play.

Gemini Girl aka GG said...

she went with you after you said "fits like a glove" LMAO!!! that was too easy!!

lay all your cards out..

u have game but it resides at a table for 2

Knockout Zed said...

@OneFrom
Didn't I try that one on you?

@Miss Ahmad
"I just talk and hope they can relate to my story." -my boy Rainier

That's pretty much my method, too.

@Diva
You, of all people, have to know I ain't got game. Ask your people, they know.

@Angie
Prime example: At this get together we had here, this chick was asking about one of my frat brothers. "He's sexy. I wanna give him some play." I introduced them, he spit game, she wanted nothing to do with him. "He's boring and wack." And she was diggin' him on looks alone. Game is always important.

Thanks for the lip props, though!

@GG
It's my dream, so I can be that dude!

I be tryin' to give my game a banquet table. No haps.

KZ

Knockout Zed said...

@Calikim
I wish so very much to have game. It just didn't work out that way.
;)

KZ

sj-the-infamous said...

You did NOT just drop Under the Cherry Moon?

I have missed you!!