Thursday, April 17, 2008

Punk Bitches and Declarative Statements

G'day folks. I'm prepping to enter another meeting today hoping it's less like most of my meetings. It won't be different, but at least I can hope.

My least favorite part of the meeting is the inevitable chiming in of "the smart people". You see, I go through most of these meeting shutting the fuck up. I don't wanna be there, I don't have anything to contribute, I'm here because I was asked to, so why the fuck should I talk? If I want to know anything from anybody, I'll email them. I don't need to sit face to face with anybody to get information. But the smart people definitely want you to know they're always thinking. They gotta let you know they've framed the discussion for you, to make things easier for the bosses and other less smart people. My boss is a good one for this shit.

"We're doing important work here and it's good that people want to work with us."

What the fuck does that mean? Actually, I get what it means, but why was it said? For what reason? To let people know they do important work? To let them know that people want to work with us? Or is it to declare that you have a big picture understanding of the project we're discussing? I think it's the latter, because that statement does ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY nothing to add to the quality of the discussion or the information sharing that's going on.

"We are focused on our goals and ready for the next steps, whatever they may be."

What? Man, fuck you. We convened a gotdamn meeting so you could practice your empty fucking platitudes, you bifocaled demi-male? I gotta get back online. I gotta finish reading some shit on Gawker. com

You can keep your framing shit. I'm too fucking lazy to be inspired by empty rhetoric.

KZ

9 comments:

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

in the mood i'm in if someone calls a meeting...i'm probably gonna hurl!

Anonymous said...

just saw the ques set it owt at famu.....congrats to ya nephew

Bananas said...

Dude...Duuuuude! I love this! I HATE having to sit and have someone spit out the latest from some got damn business book they read, with the latest new catch phrase. Talk Motha Fucker! Just talk! And keep that shit to a scant breathe. I got internet surfing to do damnit!

That's why I don't bring firearms to meetings.

The Brown Blogger said...

And to think, I left the only organization where one would bring a firearm TO the meeting.

That's why I don't do meetings. Not anymore. Unless I'm talking to myself.

But that gets boring and I tend to overeat...

Dammit, never mind.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that I am not the only one that feel this way!!!

nikki said...

lol@u. dang, dude.

i'm hoping to avoid meetings at the new gig by any means necessary.

Nexgrl said...

Can u say that you never received the e-mail/memo regarding that meeting and take an extended lunch.

proacTiff said...

"But the smart people definitely want you to know they're always thinking. They gotta let you know they've framed the discussion for you,... We convened a gotdamn meeting so you could practice your empty fucking platitudes,"

ABC did the former shit last night. George Stephanopoulos, Charlie Gibson, Philly and that got damn wasted air time disguised as a fucking Democrat debate...

Blah Blah Blah said...

I only know a hand full of smart people to begin with.

The worst type of "smart" person are the ppl that work in higher ed...fucking analytical geniuses...but for the life of them can't figure out how to put staples in the stapler.