Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Eating Kashi

I got a bad habit and I've had it for a long time. It's eating poorly. I'm a fried food addict, a starch addict, and a green vegetable hater. If it was quick and pre-processed, I was eating it. I called myself being a choosy eater by eliminating all red meat, but that wasn't the case. It was still ill-prepared food, fried and greasy.

So I made a concerted effort to eat better. After last summer was over, I was only going eat food that was nourishing. No more food detrimental to my health, no over processed food, no more late night trips to the fast food spots. From now on, if it was open 24 hours it was off-limits.

The thing I found was that it was a hell of a lot more difficult than I thought. Every impulse in my body would draw me to those brightly shining beacons of fat and grease. I didn't go, I passed them by. I tried some home cooking. I baked a lot of the food I ate, prepared it from scratch. It took a lot more of my time. I found I had to plan meals and I had to be patient. I actually had to wait for a meal to be ready, imagine that.

The biggest surprise for me over these last few months is how much better I feel. You couldn't have told me in September that I'd feel as good as I do just by putting forth the extra effort to eat better.

And every morning when I wake up, I look forward to seeing that Kashi in my bowl.

Y'all Be Cool,
KZ

21 comments:

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

your colon will thank you and so will your future wife when you life a long and prosperous life...

Angie said...

I hate Kashi - but I lost weight when I ate it everyday and my cholestorol level went down too. But I'm back on dem cheese grits now. That shit is like crack. I can't put it down. Hence, the belly flap. : )

Knockout Zed said...

@Miss Ahmad
I hope I live a long and prosperous life, but alas this post AIN'T about food.

@Angie
Cheese Grits is the devil!

KZ

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

why do you think i made the comment about your future wife?

it's a proven fact that men who in long term loving committed relationships live longer than single men....

i wonder why???

Knockout Zed said...

@Miss Ahmad
It was about writing. LOL!

They live longer so that they can enact revenge for all the nagging they endure.

KZ

Anonymous said...

Hey Zeddie! Miss you, mayne! Glad to see you are feeling look with your new eating habits!
~Newy~

Anonymous said...

oops should have been *feeling good*

Anonymous said...

30-minute meals, baby. Good food and hardly any waiting.

Miz JJ said...

Sounds like you found the slow down movement. Seems to be affecting all areas of your life...positively.

Sheletha said...

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.


Long Live the TRANS FATS!!!!

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

do you ever sprinkle denial on your kashi?

DivineLavender said...

Good food....well...sometimes...but some Harold Chicken Wings always sound better than Sweet and Sour Tofu.

-Divine Lavender

onefromphilly said...

So this post is also about writing?

1969 said...

Congrats Zed!

I am on a similar path. I gave up eating red meat and pork five months ago. I don't miss it at all and I feel great. My body is rewarding me with energy and great skin.

I also gave up eating fast food and so far so good. It helps to watch that rat video on CNN of the Taco Bell in New York.

Now if this post is really about taking the time to work on something meaningful and better for you in the long run than just jumping in for the cheap, easy and greasy....Kudos on that too :)

Shai said...

Congras to you Zed. I was just saying last night to a friend how I need to incorporate veggies more, I love meat and starchy stuff the most. I love veggies,I just don't eat a 3 course meal all the time.

aquababie said...

i love kashi! i've been eating it for years.

Angel said...

damn kashi! had a pakistani friend in grad school who was always snacking on that shyt! bleeecech!

BZ said...

YAY! I'm really happy for you. It's amazing how you can tell the difference in your body, even after a relatively brief period of time. Keep it up!

Knockout Zed said...

@Newy
You been layin' lower than a muthafucka! Good to see you!

@Chele
I gotta work up to 30 minute meals. I'm working on it.

@Miz JJ
I always thought I was patient until it was put to the test. Now I wait to eat.

@Sheletha
Ummmm, OK.

@Miss Ahmad
Denial and Silk milk. Yummy.

@DL
Every now and then, I could see indulging, but for real for real, I'll eat the tofu.

@OneFrom
Exactly! It's writing, mama.

@Sixy
That rat video was a conversion technique, wasn't it? Muthafuckas should've known without seeing it. I hope it helps other people go the anti-fast food route.

@Shai
Veggies are rough! I'm still having my little trouble eating them, but I'm getting better.

@Aqua
You seem like a Kashi eater, Ms. Yoga.

@FA
You need to try it again. It's really quite good if you're not a sugar addict.

KZ

Knockout Zed said...

@BZ
I really feel a big difference. I feel like going out and wrestling alligators or something.

KZ

Angie said...

I know I asked you to cover the lips - but I've changed my mind. Until I get a man I need them to uhmm ......do my business....